Attachments added to related table in FGDB -> gets corrupt?

Jump to solution
04-07-2020 01:07 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

I created a File Geodatabase with some feature classes, a table which is related tot these feature classes, and an attachment table added to the related table.

Looks like this:

However, when I add some records including attachments to the related table (using FME), and view the data in ArcMap, after some time (about 0,5 to 3 hours) the related table seems to get corrupt.

In ArcMap I get this message when I try to open the table:

And when I try to read the data from the table in FME, no records are imported.

The feature classes and attachments table however stay up and running.

Now we have a lot of strange IT-issues in our organisation affecting the performance of GIS.

So I am not sure:

Is this setup of the FGDB too complicated, so it migth be expected to get corrupt? Or should this work properly?

And in the latter case, does anyone possibly have clou what might be the problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The issue turned out to be caused by an installation of Sophos antivirus software

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Those type of errors seem to correlate to network issues.

When you get that error message, noted above, can you access "Feature Class 1" or any other feature class in the fGDB?

What if you bring the fGDB locally and do all the edits and then copy to the network?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your quick response George!

When you get that error message, noted above, can you access "Feature Class 1" or any other feature class in the fGDB?

It is indeed possible to access "Feature Class 1" or "Attachments", the error message only appears when I try to open the attribute table of "Related table".

What if you bring the fGDB locally and do all the edits and then copy to the network?

As far as I know, we only have network directories in our organisation, so i think i can't bring it locally unfortunately.

What kind of network issues could cause this error?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

odd that it seems to only impact the related tables. In terms of networks issues I have seen it all. There may be a network timeout, virus scan, etc.

Is all of this being done in an edit session for the entire time?

How often are the edits being saved?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Indeed! 

The edit sessions are relatively short: in FME it takes some seconds and changes I make in arcmap take a minute at most.

The edit session is already closed for minutes/hours before the table gets this error.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Ok, that is good to know about the edit session. I am not sure why the tables are corrupting, you may want to work with Esri Technical Support on this.

Can you reproduce this easily (besides the time waiting)?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your input!

Before sending it to our ICT support organisation, I would be sure if this is no common issue .

The issue is relatively easy reproducable, so I think I have enough input for them/Esri Support.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I am not sure that is "common". I will say that working with fGDB's over a network can sometime introduce odd behavior. That is why I asked about storing the fGDB locally first and seeing if it is reproducible, which is what support will do and test it locally.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The issue turned out to be caused by an installation of Sophos antivirus software

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Thanks for the update, glad to see a resolution.

I know that antivirus like to do a LOT of nasty things to our software and creates quite some interesting circumstances.

--- George T.
0 Kudos