ArcSDE Spatial view feature count in ArcMap do not match ArcCatalog

12-12-2018 05:19 AM
AllenGuan2
New Contributor III

We have been at ArcSDE 10.3.1/Oracle 12c for almost 2 years and have a lot of spatial views. Recently we found a few spatial views in existing ArcMap files do not match ArcCatalog (verified in both ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 and 10.5.1) in feature count, and we have to drag the spatial views from ArcCatalog into ArcMap to validate the count.  Anybody knows why? This behavior really looks like a bug to me.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Is the underlying data versioned?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AllenGuan2
New Contributor III

One is registered as archived, the other one is not, and both cases we only look at the Default version.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Is the one that is archived have more records than the other one?

Is the view "removing" out the non-valid records in the archived feature class?

What is the feature count difference?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AllenGuan2
New Contributor III

All records are valid. The count difference between ArcMap and ArcCatalog is small, usually 1 - 3 missing in ArcMap. When a spatial view is dragged into ArcMap, it asks for selecting an unique field, which is usually objectid, then it calculates the initial extent and add the data to the map. Seems to me the missing ones are the new features that fall outside the initial extent.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

What happens if you drop the view and re-create it? Do the # of records match then?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AllenGuan2
New Contributor III

Not sure about the rational behind recreating the views. I am testing this in ArcSDE 10.5.1 where spatial views are registered with SDE. Got a feeling this issue would not occur in 10.5.1. ESRI made a big mistake when dropping SDE view support in 10.2 and 10.3,  and glad it came back in 10.5.1.

George_Thompson

If you recreate the view it may pick up the records that you say are outside the initial extent. 

--- George T.
0 Kudos
AllenGuan2
New Contributor III

Not recreate the view, but redrag the view into ArcMap to recalculate the extent. Better to specify a larger extent than using the default calculation.

0 Kudos