ArcGIS Enterprise / Oracle EGDB: ArcGIS Server creates a lot of extproc processes on database server

07-28-2022 08:35 AM
Labels (2)
MartinF
New Contributor II

The ArcGIS Pro manual (see https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/help/data/geodatabases/manage-oracle/configure-oracle-extproc....) says :

MartinF_0-1659021528367.png

But even if st_shapelib and extproc are not configured at all, the ArcGIS Server services create extproc processes on the database server. How is this to be explained ...

... and why do they grow so rapidly during operation. In our customer’s environment ArcGIS Server produces extproc processes of exorbitant size which finally crash the database server:

MartinF_1-1659021698225.png

Any idea (helping to understand) would be great!

@George_Thompson ?

Regards,
Martin

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you provide information about your workflow and what your customer is doing? Which of the operation(s) listed in the help are they performing when you are experiencing this behavior?

0 Kudos
MartinF
New Contributor II
Nothing from the listed operations, they are just using referenced feature
services from the Oracle EGDB in a multiple machine deployment (with mobile
offline editing)
0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

My guess is that one or more of their feature services / web maps are performing 2 or 4. If you have a staging environment you should be able isolate the issue to a specific service or map that is behaving badly. If you are unable to reproduce using just the feature services, then one or more of your users may be performing items 1, 3, and/or 5.

0 Kudos
MartinF
New Contributor II

... and for these points it is possible that the extproc processes grow rapidly to a lot of gigabytes?

And the st_shapelib is not configured for extproc.ora in the EGDB!

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

They shouldn't be, under reasonable circumstances, but I've seen some unreasonable workflows cause this sort of behavior (like trying to use the database to union every parcel, tax boundary, state, and building in a state). The best case scenario is that your users may be performing a task that is inefficient for which you may be ale to suggest a more reasonable workflow. If it turns out that there are no unreasonable workflows, then you should log a case with support to help investigate the issue, but having the issue narrowed down to a specific service/workflow will make resolving the issue easier.

0 Kudos
MartinF
New Contributor II

thats clear.
but i want also understand why ArcGIS Server creates extproc processes. In my test environment geodatabase I have not configured the st_shapelib/extproc ... and for sure I do not use query layer, only feature services from normal SDO_Geoemetry and ST_Geometry feature classes  and still extproc processes are started on the database server

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

This definitely sounds abnormal, I would recommend you open a case with support.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I have not seen that before. Are there any other Enterprise Geodatabases on that  Oracle server?

How are you determining that the ArcGIS Server service is utilizing the Oracle extproc process?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MartinF
New Contributor II
1) No other Enterprise Geodatabases on that Oracle server

And

2) My own test environment where no one else is connected to the database.
If I start or stop the services with ArcGIS Server Manager the extproc
processes on the database server appear or disappear
0 Kudos