ArcGIS 10.5.1 & ArcGIS Pro 2 bug connecting to sql server ?

Jump to solution
07-14-2017 07:20 AM
AlbertoAloe
Occasional Contributor

Hi guys.

I'm experiencing something weird when connecting  a fresh ArcGIS 10.5.1 installation to a geodatabase in sql server. Basically, the  geodatabase does not retain previously set privileges on database objects according to the following scenario:

A user (data viewer or data creator with his own schema), able to access geodb objects owned by other users from ArcGIS 10.4/ ArcGIS 10.5, cannot access them any more despite permissions at sql server level are ok (the user can access them through SSMS).

A user with SELECT privilege at schema level (let's say for dbo) cannot view item in ArcGIS 10.5.1 that were previously consumed from ArcGIS 10.4/ ArcGIS 10.5

Further details as follows:

• It does not apply to dbo
  • Enforcing SELECT privilege at ArcGIS level (in ArcCatalog) works fine and makes the object available to the user
  • This behavior does not depend on geodatabase schema version but only on ArcGIS client version (10.5.1)
  • ArcGIS Pro 2 behaves the same way while ArcGIS Pro 1.4 was working fine

I'm using ArcGIS 10.5.1 /ArcGIS Pro 2 against sql  server 2014

thanks

Alberto

11 Replies
BrianFausel
Occasional Contributor III

For what it's worth, here are some observations possibly related to this issue that I had in our antique and unsupported environment:

• SQL Server 2008 R2 geodatabase is not supported in ArcGIS Pro, but one can add LYR files with pointers to SQL 2008 feature classes and they show up and work in Pro version 2.0 and earlier.
  • Starting in Pro 2.1 and also in 2.1.2, these LYR files stopped working (layers appear with red exclamation point and claim invalid data source).
  • Our LYR files were originally created using a database-authenticated connection, connecting through a generic "GIS_User" login. It's a bad legacy design we are planning to move away from.
  • If I create a new LYR file with OS-authenticated login connection using ArcMap, this LYR file does indeed come in without issues into Pro version 2.1.2. In this case, I didn't even have to explicitly grant permissions to my login on each feature class.
  • We are not affected by this problem in ArcMap versions 10.2.2 or 10.3.1 and have not yet upgraded to 10.5.1 or higher. We also do not have general users in Pro yet -- we are waiting until the database can be upgraded to a supported version before rolling it out.
DougGreen
Occasional Contributor II

I found a solution to our problem and felt the need to share it here.

What ended up fixing the issue was to drop and recreate the login for the AD group at the instance level and then also drop and recreate the user at the database level for that AD group. I am not exactly sure how this solved the issue but I needed to do it for another issue and we discovered it fixed this issue as well.