ArcGIS 10.2 or 10.3 PostGIS data editing

Jump to solution
02-15-2016 09:13 AM
PeterAlstorp
New Contributor

Hellow, fellow GISers.

Is it possible to edit PostGIS data (PostgreSQL 9.5 and PostGIS 2.2) with ArcGIS 10.2 or 10.3? I just tried and it seems that it's not possible out of the box. Or am I wrong?

Kind regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS clients have two ways to access PostGIS data in PostgreSQL:

1. Query Layers against the native tables
  2. As an enterprise geodatabase feature class

Query Layers are read-only.  Feature classes can be altered as versioned or unnversioned tables.

ArcGIS 10.2.x only supports as high as PostgreSQL 9.2.x with PostGIS 1.5 or 2.0.  ArcGIS 10.3 supports PostgreSQL 9.3.x with PostGIS 2.1​.  When ArcGIS 10.4 is released, it will support PostgresQL 9.4.x with PostGIS 2.1​.  There are no releases of ArcGIS that support enterprise geodatabases in PostgreSQL 9.5 with PostGIS 2.2.

You always have the option of editing SQL data with a SQL client, but ArcGIS clients will not be able to edit this data through ArcGIS tools.

- V

View solution in original post

2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS clients have two ways to access PostGIS data in PostgreSQL:

1. Query Layers against the native tables
  2. As an enterprise geodatabase feature class

Query Layers are read-only.  Feature classes can be altered as versioned or unnversioned tables.

ArcGIS 10.2.x only supports as high as PostgreSQL 9.2.x with PostGIS 1.5 or 2.0.  ArcGIS 10.3 supports PostgreSQL 9.3.x with PostGIS 2.1​.  When ArcGIS 10.4 is released, it will support PostgresQL 9.4.x with PostGIS 2.1​.  There are no releases of ArcGIS that support enterprise geodatabases in PostgreSQL 9.5 with PostGIS 2.2.

You always have the option of editing SQL data with a SQL client, but ArcGIS clients will not be able to edit this data through ArcGIS tools.

- V

PeterAlstorp
New Contributor

Thanks, Vince! Very helpful. I might try going back a few versions then. Or just make edits in QGIS as I'm used to (and satisfied with).

Cheers,

Peter

0 Kudos