What hardware/software are your field crews using to view maps?

09-26-2016 10:21 AM
AndyBurnell
New Contributor III

I'm just wondering what people are using to view maps in the field.

Are you connected or disconnected?

We use a combination of GT Viewer (severely out of date) and/or ArcReader (v9.3) on Panasonic Toughbooks. All in a disconnected environment.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CarolineSimaz
New Contributor

We are using a product called CarryMap.  It is used in a disconnected environment - which we need because of our large rural service territory.  It is not ideal for a few reasons - some of our symbology does not display and with the version we use, none of the base maps are available.  There is an updated version (CarryMap Builder) that only works with ArcGIS 10.3-10.4 and we are locked into using ArcGIS 10.2 because we use NISC's Mapwise for mapping.  CarryMap is produced from a company located in Russia and therefore support can be very delayed and only done through email.  I am looking for something better . . .

0 Kudos
JasonTipton
Occasional Contributor III

We are using a product call Epoch Field . The business hasn't fully bought into it yet, but it is an ArcGIS Runtime app and it will run on Windows/Android/iPad. It works disconnected and uses geodatabase syncing. We are still using Server 10.2 but Epoch Field works with newer versions.

0 Kudos
JoeHershman
MVP Regular Contributor

If you want to ping me offline I would be happy to discuss a solution my company has developed

Thanks,
-Joe
0 Kudos
AdamBeller
New Contributor

Until recently our department was using a variety of map products ranging from ArcReader to CAD dxf files to folders full of PDFs.  This resulted in disorganized and outdated data and a general apprehension by our field crews to use or trust any maps.  Since I began, I've been pushing to take our maps online.  We are currently developing a combination of AGOL web maps and applications to suit the needs of our various crew types.  They will mostly be using iPads to access the maps either through a browser or native ESRI app.

0 Kudos
JoshuaSchwartz
New Contributor III

Out of curiosity - how is this going with IT security?

0 Kudos
AdamBeller
New Contributor

We have not had much push back from IT about security.  We use multi factor authentication with a VPN and they seem satisfied with the security that provides.  Some of our more generic layers are hosted on AGOL, but the more secure information is set up as a map service and kept behind the firewall.  This also ensures that the maps contain the most current information from default.

I have noticed some issues with iPads not connecting properly on certain WiFi networks due to conflicts with our VPN protocol, but the crews use them with cellular service and seem to have a reliable connection.  We are fortunate to be in a relatively small geographic territory with good cell coverage.

The nice thing about having them as web maps is that they can also be accessed on desktops back in the office, so they're not just for field crews.  Management, engineering, and even clerical staff are starting to use them as well.

0 Kudos
PetePedrazzini
New Contributor III

We use file geodatabase and ArcPad with custom designed forms in ArcStudio. Disconnected editing in the field. Makes for a smooth data transfers

0 Kudos
DavidMiller
New Contributor II

We're using a small mix of things, depending on the need of the end user:

• ArcGIS Desktop Basic 10.2.1 w/ArcFM Viewer 10.2.1c (disconnected using a FGDB)
  • ArcGIS Engine Runtime 10.2.1 w/ArcFM Viewer for Engine 10.2.1c (disconnected using a FGDB)
  • ArcGIS Collector running against AGOL (for inspection and specific maintenance projects)

For hardware, we're in the middle of transitioning from Panasonic Toughbooks (fully and semi-ruggedized) to Dell semi-ruggedized laptops.  The new Dells are coming with built in air-cards and GPS.  We are trying to see if we can move to VPN connections consuming ArcServer maps from our internal server. 

The Collector users are utilizing iPad Air 2s.  If we can get our web environment up and running well enough, the plan is to not replace the Dell laptops when they are reach end of life and move to tablets.

0 Kudos
ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

While I work at a water utility we I deal with field implementations a lot.  At my previous job I utilized iPad Air2s with several of Esri apps utilizing AGOL hosted solutions.  At my current location we are just starting implementation of field services and will utilize Android devices.  We will be using Samsung Galaxy Tabs2 or similar.  The change is due to existing infrastructure not any problems with the iPad solution.  I will be utilizing ArcGIS online but hope to shift away from hosted services to local ArcGIS Server services once we have completed our Database roll out. 

One big thing to consider in the process of choosing hardware software is how you will configure and manage the devices as this is a big departure from dealing with regular desktop server hardware software. 

#field workers#mobile tools

0 Kudos