UPDM and CP Circuit Tracing

Jump to solution
07-26-2018 01:25 PM
Labels (1)
MarkCederholm
Occasional Contributor III

As part of our eventual migration to UPDM and Utility Network, we would like to model our CP circuits as subnetworks.  Right now, we have a feature class called "Insulated Node" which acts as an arbitrary barrier to a CP circuit.  How would we model that in our data migration?  I don't really see a corresponding junction type in UPDM, unless perhaps I add a new asset type to Electro Stop (currently our migration prototype maps weld end insulators to that subtype).  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Good morning Mark,

Here are a few suggestions that I hope will help you with your modeling of CP systems within the Utility Network and UPDM 2018.

1) Keep in mind that the Utility Network similar to the geometric network cannot have two assets occupy the same position in coordinate space. In the case of the Utility Network that means two assets with the same X, Y ,Z coordinate. If your Insulated Node feature is to locate the same location as a coupling, then you will have issues.

2) The UPDM model manages insulated fittings and insulated devices through attributes.  Specifically on the PipelineJunction featureclass and the PipelineDevice featureclass there is an attribute called: InsulatorDevice.  This Yes/No boolean field defines where the assets acts as a cathodically insulating device.

3) When modeling CP systems with subnetworks, you will want to create a separate Tier Group from the Pipe tiers. Then you will want to create a Tier under the new Tier group.  I usually name my Tier group: Cathodic Protection, and then name my Tier as CP System.

Hope that helps

Tom DeWitte

Technical Lead - Natural Gas Industry

Esri, Inc

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Good morning Mark,

Here are a few suggestions that I hope will help you with your modeling of CP systems within the Utility Network and UPDM 2018.

1) Keep in mind that the Utility Network similar to the geometric network cannot have two assets occupy the same position in coordinate space. In the case of the Utility Network that means two assets with the same X, Y ,Z coordinate. If your Insulated Node feature is to locate the same location as a coupling, then you will have issues.

2) The UPDM model manages insulated fittings and insulated devices through attributes.  Specifically on the PipelineJunction featureclass and the PipelineDevice featureclass there is an attribute called: InsulatorDevice.  This Yes/No boolean field defines where the assets acts as a cathodically insulating device.

3) When modeling CP systems with subnetworks, you will want to create a separate Tier Group from the Pipe tiers. Then you will want to create a Tier under the new Tier group.  I usually name my Tier group: Cathodic Protection, and then name my Tier as CP System.

Hope that helps

Tom DeWitte

Technical Lead - Natural Gas Industry

Esri, Inc

EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Mark -

Am curious how the CP subnetwork definition has gone.  In a small test I added anodes and test points connected to steel pipe by bond wire.   When I then tries to update my distribution subnetwork I got errors about finding invalid devices -- the anodes and test points.   Did you somehow exclude bond wire from the distribution subnetwork?

Thanks,

Ed Blair

0 Kudos
MarkCederholm
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry, haven't had a chance to play with that yet.  I do plan to try out a CP tier group at some point, but until I can get system and pressure tiers to calculate their summary fields, I'm not yet convinced that subnetworks are even worth pursuing in the first place.