Can you edit and manage a map hosted on Arcgis Online from Arcgis Pro?

02-04-2020 10:27 AM
VillageOf_Lake_Placid
New Contributor III

I work for a small municipal electric department, our current project is taking old maps of the electric grid and turning them into a useful map for ArcGIS Online. Currently, we have a rough map hosted in Online so lineman can use Collector out in the field to update the map and get information about poles, transformers, etc. Is it possible to edit and manage this map using ArcGIS Pro at the same time without constantly having to create new maps and publish them over the old ones? I need to be able to make wide-scale changes to layers in Pro, due to the fact that the map is still in its early stage, yet need to be able to incorporate the changes made out in the field in real-time also.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II

When you say "edit", do you mean the data values, the schema design, or the map itself?

If it's the data values, then the answer is yes. You need to import the web map containing the data stored up in AGOL into Pro, and edit it like you would any other dataset. Keep in mind any edits you make are instantly saved with no options to "undo".

If it's the schema design, the answer is "yes, but only small schema changes". Small schema design changes (deleting a field, adding a field), then you need to coordinate with your field workers to check in their edits (if they are taking data offline), let them know that the service will be unavailable for a period of time (30 minutes?). Unshare the map and HFL/VL.

In Pro, import the map from AGOL, and add/delete fields as needed, save your changes to the fields. Edit data if you need to. Field additions will require you update the AGOL map accordingly, like turn on the new field in your pop-ups if you want users to see them. Field deletions will also require you to modify the AGOL map layer properties accordingly.

None of this requires you overwrite anything. Once your changes are completed, just reshare the map/HFL with you users and send them a message telling them they are good to go.

However, if you are doing massive changes to schema design, like creating relationship classes with layers, etc., then designing a new set up in Pro, loading old data into the new schema, and overwriting the old HFL might end up being easier. Some significant schema changes can make AGOL maps bug out, especially anything that messes with schema that feature templates depend on.

Finally, if you need to edit the map design (layer order, labeling, symbology, etc.) then just do it in AGOL. Changes made to maps you import from AGOL into Pro don't effect the AGOL map you imported from.

TL;DR: YES: data edits, small schema changes. NO: big schema changes, map configurations.

VillageOf_Lake_Placid
New Contributor III

Thank you for the timely Response. Unfortunately, my definition of "edit" is one of being able to make wide-scale data value changes and large scale map changes. It seems like the best method moving forward is to coordinate with the guys in the field to let them know not to modify or the map, so it can be updated. Thank you for all of the help this clears up a lot of the confusion I've been dealing with.

alex_friant
Occasional Contributor II

The data value changes is easy, no big deal. You can do that in Pro with very little effect on the end users.

As for the map changes, I get it. I had to make massive changes to several maps because we changed the underlying schema design in a big way to improve analyzing the data later on. Good luck!

0 Kudos