Apply Asset Package Slower in 2.5 Release?

Jump to solution
02-09-2020 05:58 PM
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

In the 2.4 release of the Esri Utility Network Package tools the "Apply Asset Package" tool (Apply Asset Package—Tool Reference | ArcGIS Solutions ) was able to make use of multiple cores during the data loading process in order to reduce data loading times.

In the 2.5 release of these tools this appears to no longer be the case.  This means that small datasets that used to load in 30-45 minutes are now taking upwards of 8 hours.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround?  In particular I need to have the append and import associations tools run in parallel as loading a single association file for a medium sized dataset can take 1-3 hours (my current dataset has 20 association files!).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

I believe the only changes to apply AP in 2.5 is that parallel processing is always disabled (regardless of your environment setting) when the target is FGDB.

If you change the environment value in the GP tool, is that respected? By default, it should be using 75% of your cores.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

I believe the only changes to apply AP in 2.5 is that parallel processing is always disabled (regardless of your environment setting) when the target is FGDB.

If you change the environment value in the GP tool, is that respected? By default, it should be using 75% of your cores.

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah that's my problem, I've been testing the tools against FGDBs!  I guess it makes sense that it wouldn't be supported on file geodatabases, once my current run is finished I'll test it out against a local SDE instance.

0 Kudos
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

We have made some improvements in 2.6 to import associations performance (both FGDB and EGDB are faster, the former significantly so).

SimpyJaiswal
New Contributor II

I am trying to load data in PRO2.6.1. It took me 44 hrs to load data. Do we expect such load time or there is some issue that I am not able to identify? There are around 30 lakhs features in Device, Assembly, Line and Junction.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If you review the log files from loading you should be able to determine how much time was spent on each operation.  With numbers that high my guess is that you enabled post processing and you have a significant number of error, this can be confirmed by reviewing the logs and seeing if the "Enable topology" task was responsible for 40+ hours of time.

0 Kudos
SimpyJaiswal
New Contributor II

Yes noticed that Device,Line and Junction took most of the time(18 hrs approx in parallel process). I did not 'enable topology'. It was just ApplyAssetPackage with load data option checked. 

0 Kudos