UPDM 2018 Edition

01-04-2018 07:38 PM
Labels (2)

UPDM 2018 Edition

This is the official release of the 2018 Edition of the Utility and Pipeline Data Model (UPDM).

It is designed to support data management for the natural gas and hazardous liquids industries.  Supporting the diverse needs of these industries means supporting multiple implementation patterns.  Specifically a network topology with the Utility Network implementation pattern, and a linear referencing implementation pattern with the ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing solution..

If you have questions, please post them to geonet, so everyone can see and share the information.

Thank you

Tom DeWitte

Esri Technical Lead – Natural Gas Industry

Labels (2)
Attachments
Comments

Are there any resources that describe the migration from one version of UPDM to the next? I have a 2015 UPDM version that I need to add a lot of data to and am considering migrating to 2016 version.  I think going to 2016 may be better than jumping all the way to 2018. There seems to be some pretty big changes from 2015 to 2018.

Hello,

According the blog of Howard in 2019 there will be a new release of the UPDM with some major changes.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-solutions/electric-gas/the-road-ahead-for-the-updm-...

We are in progress of converting our data to the UPDM 2018 but as we understand the codes for groups and types will change to preserved and custom ranges.

Is it already possible to provide the codes for assetgroups and assettypes of the UPDM2019 so we can avoid double migration?

When is this new release scheduled?

Thank you,

Barend

FYI, here's another heads up in case you haven't spotted it already:  the UPDM_PressureRange domain uses GEOMETRY_RATIO for split policy, which doesn't make sense in the context of MAOP.  It should be set to DUPLICATE.

Hi Wes,

The UPDM 2015 and UPDM 2016 versions of the data model were written for earlier versions of ArcGIS for Pipeline Referencing and the Geometric Network.  The UPDM 2018 and upcoming UPDM 2019 versions are written specifically for ArcGIS for Pipeline Referencing 10.6 and higher, and the Utility Network for Gas.  Not sure of the specifics of you current and planned deployments of the ArcGIS capabilities. The best practice data models for the Geometric Network and the Utility Network are very different.  Would not recommend trying to deploy the Geometric Network on the UPDM versions created to support the Utilty Network. And the software will not support the use of GN specific UPDM versions for Utility Network deployments.

Hope this helps

Tom DeWitte

Technical Lead - Natural Gas Industry

Esri, Inc

Hey Mark,

Thank you so much for catching this.  I have noted it on the enhancement list for UPDM.

Please continue to post any other suggestions for improvement to our pipe industries data model.

Thanks

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc

Hi Tom DeWitte‌, is there an updated time frame for the release of UPDM 2019?

Tom DeWitte‌, in addition to the timeline for UPDM 2019 release, are there any training materials or modules available for UPDM?  I couldn't find anything on the ESRI Training Site.

I haven't seen any, but there is something a Pipeline Referencing tutorial that exists

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  We are actively working on UPDM 2019 Edition.  Our current schedule is to have UPDM 2019 documented and posted by the Esri International User Conference in early July.

Major enhancements being implemented with UPDM 2019 are:

1) Migration of the Integrity Feature dataset contents into PipeSystem feature dataset to support combined editing workflow (APR + UN).

2) Simplication of Subnetwork definitions to (Pipe System, Pipe Pressure, Pipe Isolation, Cathodic Protection).

3) Enhanced use of connectivity associations to simplify management of Cathodic Protection system

4) Updating of ASTM F2897 Manufacturer list

5) Various minor bug fixes such as type-os and some corrections to coded domains

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc

Hi Zac,

As of this time there are no training materials for the Utility and Pipeline Data Model. (UPDM).  There are Esri provided training courses for the underlying technologies which leverage UPDM.  There are multiple courses for learning the Utility Network Management Extension.  The "Creating and Managing Utility Networks with ArcGIS" does include gas specific exercises.  There are also classes for learning the ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing extensions.

You can find more specific information about Esri training classes on the web site at: https://www.esri.com/training/  If you search on "Utility Network" you will find the classes I mentioned.

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc

Hi Mark,

Quick update on your identification of the need to change the GEOMETRY_RATIO policy on the UPDM_PressureRange domain to DUPLICATE.  This correction has been incorporated into UPDM 2019 Edition.  Thank you for pointing this out and please keep submiting any additonal issues you find. 

Thanks

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc

Will there be a migration pattern/functionality from 2018 to 2019 UPDM?

Thanks

Rich

Anonymous User

Tom DeWitte and Esri Team... Thanks for your hard and dedication to this solution. We understand your time is consumed by this project and many other activities at Esri. Your efforts are much appreciated by many users in this community even though some may not display it in this forum.

Thanks Tom DeWitte, the information is much appreciated.  We are currently working on a Gas Distribution implementation and are targeting UPDM 2019 for the underlying data model.  Knowing the revised timelines will allow us to effectively plan its incorporation into our project.  The list of major enhancements is a nice bonus - thanks!

Regards,

Jeff

Anonymous User

I am working on integration of CP zones in UPDM, do we have ready available feature data class for appending CP zone in UPDM data model.

Thanks

Diptesh

Diptesh,

The UPDM 2019 model (posted in a separate thread) adds the ability to model your cp zones as subnetworks in the model.  Each test lead of a test point can be set up to be a subnetwork controller for a cp zone then you simply connect the leads up to their corresponding pipes and make sure you're properly modelling the conductivity / insulation lines and equipment in your data.

Thanks,

Robert

I decided to create an instance of UPDM 2018 using the python scripts provided in the zip file.

My first attempt was to use the script C:\temp\UPDM_2018\PythonScripts\01CreateUPDMBaseAdd-On_2018.py

I keep receiving an error that states:

ERROR 000732: Input Table: Dataset U:\Documents\ArcGIS\Projects\UPDM2018\lin0228_UPDM2018_SQLAdmin.sde\UPDM2018.DataOwner.PipeSystem\UPDM2018.DataOwner.PipelineAssembly does not exist or is not supported
Failed to execute (AddField).

I check the line that generate the error:

arcpy.management.AddField(UPDMAssembly, "PIPELINEOPERATOR""TEXT"NoneNone50"Pipeline Operator""NULLABLE""NON_REQUIRED"None)

this line is trying to add a field in a non existing table.

More over, In my ignorance i was thinking that this script will create the tables of UPDM. i was quite shocked when i discovered there is no a single call to:

arcpy.management.CreateTable

Some questions came to my mind:

1. How is the process to create an empty UPDM instance?

2. Is possible to create the empty UPDM just with python?

the readme.txt file states:

IMPORTING THE DATAMODEL:

ESRI ArcGIS technology provides several means for importing a data model.
To make the importation of this model as easy as possible, the model is provided in multiple formats
(10.x File Geodatabase, 10.x XML Workspace export, Python scripts, Esri Asset Package)

I assumed that I can choose one of the several means to import the data model. am I wrong?

I would suggest using UPDM 2019.  All of the components have been merged into the Asset Package.  The Change Asset Package Spatial reference tool will create you an empty copy of the model and adjust the spatial reference.

Thanks Michael, but my client is requiring 2018 version.

Version history
Last update:
‎01-04-2018 07:38 PM
Updated by:
Contributors