NETWORK MANAGEMENT NEWS

01-31-2018 11:29 AM
BillMeehan
Esri Contributor
13 10 9,436

Network Management News

for Utilities and Telecommunication Companies

We have exciting news to share.

• New ArcGIS platform release: On January 18, Esri released ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 and ArcGIS Pro 2.1, representing a significant step forward in the ArcGIS platform, especially for utilities. Read about the new features here.
  • New ArcGIS extension for utilities: An integral part of the ArcGIS 10.6 platform is the new ArcGIS Utility Network Management extension. We call this technology, simply, the utility network, and it represents the future of network management. We showcased the power of this new extension at DistribuTECH 2018.
  • Upcoming utility release for ArcMap: This summer we will release ArcGIS 10.6.1. This release will also include the next desktop utility release for ArcMap and the geometric network, and it will be supported until January 2024. This gives you plenty of time to plan and prepare for your migration to the utility network.

The Utility Network: A Quantum Leap in Network Management

The utility network launches a brand-new way for you to manage utility and telecom data. You can:

• Share your network model with real-time systems
  • Create schematic diagrams automatically and make them accessible in the platform
  • Visualize your network assets in 3D
  • Build non-spatial network connectivity
  • Model devices inside other devices
  • Edit your data with ArcGIS Pro, the most modern GIS desktop software available
  • Create attribute rules and enforce rich business logic to prevent errors
  • Support annotation across the platform
  • Author ArcGIS Pro projects and share them using your ArcGIS portal

Esri will continue to expand the capabilities of the utility network over the next months and years.

In the spring, Esri will offer data migration tools to help you move to the new utility network.

Our summer release of the utility network will include:

• Attribute rule enhancements
  • Client-side evaluation of rules
  • SDK developer enhancements
  • We have many other features coming in later releases including:
  • Mobile geodatabase support
  • Partial posting
  • Custom validation tools
  • A telecom model that includes fiber cables
  • Domains dependent on the value of other fields
  • Support for dimensioning
  • Better data export ability, including support for the IEC standard Common Information Model (CIM)
  • Support for disconnected editing

Continued Support for ArcMap and the Geometric Network

To give you time to prepare for a migration to the new utility network, we will continue to support ArcMap and the geometric network, including a new release this summer.

In 2015, we created a special utility and telecom release, 10.2.1, which we promised to support until June 2021. Once on this release, you did not have to upgrade your desktop technology. You only had to install utility patches as they become available. This made keeping up with the latest technology simple and easy. However, you have made requests related to security and platform support that we cannot accommodate with the simple patch process.

So, we are providing another option.

In the summer, you can upgrade to our 10.6.1 release, which will continue to support ArcMap and the geometric network. This is not a migration—it is a straightforward upgrade, similar to the patches you’ve already been installing. This release will allow us to offer necessary security and platform improvements. It will also be supported until January 2024, giving you more than two years of additional support with these familiar tools. In addition, we are working closely with Schneider Electric, who will be certifying ArcFM on ArcGIS 10.6.1.

We will continue to offer patches to both the 10.2.1 utility release and the 10.6.1 utility release.

The Road Ahead

The road ahead for network management is the utility network.

• We have updated the Road Ahead for Network Management white paper.
  • We have posted our vision for the utility network on the ArcGIS blog.
  • We have also posted new blogs with information specifically for electric and gas
  • Our partners have also been preparing to offer their solutions as enhancements to the utility network. We urge you to talk to them about their plans and how their solutions will further enrich the utility network.

We look forward to your feedback. If you have questions or concerns please reach out to your account manager. They will bring the right resources to you.

Stay tuned for more updates on our exciting new technology.

10 Comments
deleted-user-rLuZkk6smKMo
New Contributor II

After working closely with Esri on this over the past 6 months, we at Schneider Electric are pleased to offer our joint customers another choice as they consider their upgrade plans for #ArcFM and the #UtilityNetwork Management Extension. See the Schneider Electric links below for more information.

http://bit.ly/2nrudKQ
http://bit.ly/2FvAwnu

GeraldKreuwel
New Contributor

AED-SICAD has been closely following the further development of ArcGIS beyond the special utility and telecommunication version 10.2.1, ensuring compatibility of the UT for ArcGIS product line with all versions up to the current 10.6.  In line with Esri’s recommendations, we have released our desktop product for ArcGIS 10.2.1 and we have only released UT Server for use with the most recent ArcGIS Enterprise versions. When ArcGIS 10.6.1 becomes available this summer, we will release a UT for ArcGIS version of our desktop products that runs on both ArcGIS 10.2.1 and ArcGIS 10.6.1.  This will give our customers the option to choose whatever they deem best for their specific IT context.

AED-SICAD will support both 10.2.1 and 10.6.1 until their respective end-of-life dates (June 2021 and January 2024) allowing for a smooth transition to the Utility Network based UT Pro.

More information on:

UT for ArcGIS Pro - AED-SICAD_com 

Claus-DietrichWerner
Occasional Contributor II
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I see they have come out with 10.6.1, but did they ever officially declare it as the Utilities/Telecom version?

I ask as this is about the only reference to it I can find and it is pretty obvious they are not keeping 10.6.1 up to date.

R_

LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Rhett,

Yes, ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 is the next Utility Release.  We are in the process of gathering potential utility specific issues for a patch to 10.6.1, but the list of issues is currently relatively small.  There are also general patches to 10.6.1 that have come out.

Are you looking for a fix for a specific issue?

thanks, larry

RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

well, yes, mainly this one:

"#BUG-000123209 The Export To CAD tool fails to write BLOCK definitions to output AutoCAD DWG, attribute tags are not created for blocks that are populated, and symbology is not applied."

Tried to escalate, but was informed that since it has been fixed in 10.7.1, that it is not being considered for 10.6.1.

It is almost as if the tech support department isn't even aware the Utilities Telecom version (ran into this with 10.2.1 also).

I have entire development team relying on the CAD exports.

Sad that I have to keep my old 10.2.1 server up and running just to do my ESRI to CAD exports.  Everything else on the network has been updated to 10.6.1.

However, out IT department isn't likely to let me keep that old, obsolete server on the net indefinitely.

Thanks,

PWPAdmin
New Contributor

links no longer work.

LarryYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Rhett,

That is actually one of the issues we do have on the list to put out as a 10.6.1 UTUP patch.  We are in the middle of finishing up a bounce back patch for 10.2.1 as well as the ArcGIS Pro 2.5 and Enterprise 10.8 releases, though, so a little backup at the moment.  Hoping to get the 10.6.1 patch out by the end of the year.

Sorry to keep you waiting on this. Have you talked to your account rep about putting in a hot fix request for you?

thanks, larry

NielsVemmelund1
New Contributor III

Hi Larry (and Bill)

I might add that for my part i would appreciate a more "formal" announcement of the Utility Release than in a blog (though i enjoy reading your blog). This information might exist somewhere - but where?

It would be useful for our implementations planning - and as a source for news about bugs, release plans, changes in system requirements etc.

Best regards

Niels

RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Larry,

I looked into the hot fix a while back, but don't remember why we didn't get it, but was a no go.

Interesting that you are finishing the 10.2.1 patch as I noticed some differences when we went from 10.2.1 to 10.6.1 and was told they couldn't assist me with the 10.2.1 issues anymore as it has been discontinued.

Anyway, hopefully the 10.6.1 patch will be ready by EOY and will no longer be an issue.

Thanks for the info,

R_

Labels