splitting small overlapped polygons

10-20-2016 05:14 PM
MaruCorrea
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to split polygons that are overlapped using "split" from analysis tools, however several of these polygons are not properly split. I double-checked that the name of each of these is different by creating a short name (less than 10 characters), however there are several errors (several polygons in one *.shp file). I also used model builder, and the result is not better. I have to do this for 3900 polygons, so I don´t want to do it manually. Some one has any suggestion, please? Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are the overlapping features in the same or different layers?  Do you have a pictoral example since the split tools suggests a different useage. Split—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
MaruCorrea
New Contributor

Hi Dan, thanks for your reply. The overlapping features are in the same layer, although I've divided the layer into chunks some times to make it easier to split (save computer time). About the features: They are polygons corresponding to protected areas in the UK, very small, many about 14 ha. I need to separate each protected area to extract information from each of them separately. I attach an image that I hope makes it more understandable.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you mean to split them into separate files, the Split Layers by Attributes might be what you mean.  Otherwise you may have to access the geometry of each shape separately, and do your processing on it.  It you could articulate what information you want extracted, that might make a difference.  Does it has something to do with the geometry, that geometry with respect to others?  etc?

0 Kudos
MaruCorrea
New Contributor

I've been trying to attach the composite I produced, but I haven't had succeeded...or maybe yes, can you see the image? Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos