Support for Older FGDB

08-17-2011 11:10 AM
MichaelChilds
New Contributor
It seems that a lot of the GDB datasets available online are from ArcGIS v9.x which the current API doesn't support. Are there plans to add support for those older files that are out there so those files aren't useless?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidSousa
New Contributor III
Might I suggest running Upgrade on the pre-10x FileGeodatabases?

The reason that the API requires 10x FileGeodatabases is that all of the dataset schema information returned by the API is in XML format.  With 10x data, the XML already exists in the system tables.  With pre-10x data, it would all have to be generated from scratch, and that would require a large amount of code.
0 Kudos
MichaelChilds
New Contributor
How do you run 'Upgrade' on the pre-v10 files? Is this something in the File Geodatabase API? I'm looking for an automated solution and not something that requires a round trip through something else that users might not have.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AsimAhmad1
New Contributor
I am also looking for a automated solutions on this. Has any body find it.
Is there any other API available with can provide read/write access to FGDB or PGDB.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
ArcObjects is the only API that can provide read-only or read-write access to file geodatabases
and personal geodatabases (Note: PGDBs are now deprecated -- 10.1 will not fully support them).

Only ArcGIS 10.0 can upgrade pre-10 file geodatabases to 10.0 format (via GUI, ArcObjects, or
ArcPy [Python]).

The file geodatabase API does not support personal geodatabases of any release level.

- V
0 Kudos