File Geodatabase API 1.4 now posted at Esri Downloads

03-20-2015 11:51 AM
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The wait is over! Head on over to Esri Downloads !

WHAT'S NEW:

• Support for reading Compressed fgdb data.. (NIM071731)
  • Custom projection support. (NIM073951)
  • Non-XML creation of tables.
  • The field list is now honored on Searches, only returning the requested fields. (NIM082242)
  • Upgrade to libxlt (1.1.28) to pickup fix for memory leak. (NIM098151)
  • Added Compact geodatabase (NIM098323).
  • MS Visual Studio 2013 support.

- V

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
PaulAustin
Occasional Contributor

That's great news Vince.

What is the license agreement for the two binary libraries? Can they be bundled in an application or do they require end users to download the binaries themselves?

I couldn't figure it out from the license directory in the downloads. Most of that seems to be reference to libraries that you use to build your binaries or the sample source code.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It appears that there has been a change to the licensing, at least with respect that the Apache 2.0 license is in the license/ folder.  The E204_E300 license document in the 1.3 releases is dated 2012-09-06, while the E204_E300 bound to the download site is dated 2013-04-26.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't speak as a legal representative of Esri (the license speaks of a "signed" alternative anyway), but to the best of my understanding, the E204_E300 license is intended to protect API distribution (the include files and link libraries) but that the runtime libraries (in the Windows distributions, the files in the "bin" directory, not the "lib"), are freely distributable with applications that use them.  That is, you can code with the API, and make royalty-free applications that reference and distribute the runtime DLLs, but you cannot redistribute the API itself without written permission.  If you distribute source that could be compiled using the SDK, then others would need to license the SDK themselves in order to compile your source.  Which is all pretty much standard in the COTS world (except for the runtime distribution, which is atypical [and pretty cool]).

I've contacted Contracts to get clarification on this issue.

- V

0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor

The license displayed in the Download dialog in incorrect and will be changed shortly. At 1.4 we are using the Apache license. The license included in the license directory in the download is the Apache license. I will post more information about the 1.4 release when we get the license issue resolved.

0 Kudos
LanceShipman
Esri Regular Contributor

The license issue has been corrected.

0 Kudos
DonnyVelazquez
Occasional Contributor

Are there any code samples showing how to get and insert arcs? I didn't see any in the samples.

0 Kudos