FedGIS 2017 Day One Updates: Philly Fire Drills, Savanah VR and On-the-fly Rasters

02-13-2017 06:10 AM
Labels (1)
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team
0 1 948

Hi everyone - We're here in Washington, D.C. and excited to get started at the FedGIS Conference! Attendees are making their way in and grabbing their Esri swag bags and heading into the plenary. We'll be live blogging the plenary here on a separate blog post. You can follow that live blog for Monday morning plenary.

Then over the next two days, we'll be starting separate session conversations and sharing updates as the event unfolds. Remember to follow the FedGIS Conference‌ space to get the updates and join the conversations. 

Enjoy your time and thanks for following along. We look forward to your contributions!

After the plenary, it was time to grab some lunch and listen in on a meaningful You Got The Job...Now What? panel discussion hosted by the Esri Young Professional team. The guest panel, which also included Esri owner Jack Dangermond, shared their collective career wisdom and insightful personal stories about how to build and cultivate productive relationships to further your career. 

Feeling inspired and ready for the afternoon adventure, I headed downstairs to explore and see what was buzzing on the Expo floor of FedGIS. 

The sires went off as I soaked up knowledge about how law enforcement in Philadelphia is using ArcGIS Pro to map crimes, fires and gang violence to help local investigators discover patterns and make better decisions when fighting crimes. Good to know the good guys in Philly are using the Science of Where and ArcGIS Pro to make their neighborhoods safer. 

After the informative fire drill, I headed upstairs to get into data Sciences mode during the Analyzing Multidimensional Scientific Data in ArcGIS"  workshop. I learned a lot about what "on-the-fly rasta analysis using Raster Functions" looks like when you're trying to understand ice concentration anomalies using NOAA CTSR data. Cool stuff!

I then slipped on the VR goggles and jumped into an immersive version of downtown Savanah, Georgia created by the team at SCAD who made this virtual world in 5 weeks using city engine. The project is a first step in figuring out how virtual reality, augmented reality and 3D printing can help improve data sets and create a more accurate digital version of the world around us. It was a pleasure talking with the SCAD team about their project because our chat led to a fantastic discussion that covered GIS and emerging tech, digital parenting and how the GeoNet Community has helped other SCAD student solve geospatial problems. 

Day One ended with a great workshop about how citizen apps are growing in use and helping to crowdsource and fund the development of citizen science. 

We hope you enjoyed following along as we cruised through Day One of FedGIS 2017! What were your highlights and favorite moments? What did you learn today? Thanks for sharing! 

Stay tuned for more tomorrow and check out other discussions in the FedGIS Conference space.  

Tags (1)
1 Comment
About the Author
I lead the Esri Community Team and oversee the Esri Community strategy. Thank you for being here with us and I look forward to serving and connecting with you here in the community!