Topology basics

08-07-2018 09:29 AM
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 5 704
5 Comments
AdamPadilla
New Contributor II

Is there any way to have on the fly topology in ArcMap? I would like to digitize a feature and when it meets another feature I would edge snap to it and ArcMap would insert a vertex on the other feature.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
AdamPadilla
New Contributor II

I have tried map topology and geodatabase topology. Those work after feature creation, I would like "on the fly" topology during feature creation where edge snapping would create a common vertex between two features.

MatthewDobson
Occasional Contributor

Something like creating adjoining polygons??

AdamPadilla
New Contributor II

the main application would be linear features such as creating road centerlines at a four way intersection, but linear to area features would also be applicable. in situations where two roads cross at different grades such as a bridge and the road below, I would not want a common vertex. It would be great if when creating a new linear feature I could edge snap to another linear feature or area feature and a vertex would be added to the feature that was snapped to.

About the Author
IT Sr Analyst GIS Timeline: 1988 - Present From Ink & Mylar drafting, ArcInfo/UNIX Workstation v6.1.1, COGO, Map Librarian, ArcEdit, ArcPlot on AIX, ArcIMS and AutoCAD v2.6 To current ArcGIS, Portal and AGOL