Widgets in Development

05-26-2021 09:15 AM
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
11 19 4,748

Currently I am working on getting all the widget that I use in my County Parcel Viewer website re-developed in Experience Builder. This has been a bit of a task as EB is very lacking in  widgets currently.

As I hope most of know I have released a Print Widget already.

Next to release is likely the Measurement widget. This is basically the JS API Measure widget (2D)  with the addition of point locations. Though a point is not technically a measurement , I believe that it is an important addition. Being able to click on the map and get the Lat, long or X, Y in multiple formats is nice. I know that in EB 1.4 there is the Coordinate Conversion widget but I like my ability to have location information linked with measurement info. You can define the WKID (Spatial Reference) of the point location and change from DD, DMS, or your custom specified WKID in the widget at runtime.

Measurement.jpg

I also have a Draw widget pretty close to release. The draw widget basic JS API Sketch Widget (2D) with the addition of symbology settings at run time for graphics and editing graphics symbology at runtime, along with the much needed (in my opinion) Text drawing capability.

Draw.jpg

One of the major things that both of these widget are currently lacking is the widget settings UI. Currently if I release them, then configuration will have to be made manually in the widgets config.json file.

Oh course I have already started developing eSearch and eLocate widget but as those are heavily reliant on configuration I probably will not release those until I have developed their settings dialogs fully.

One major thing to note is that I am not developing widgets for 3D so all my widgets are developed for 2D Map View and not web scenes.

One of the areas of feedback I would like to request is about releasing before the widget setting development is complete. If I have the widgets basic functionality complete should I release it (like I did initially for the print widget) or spend the time to develop the setting dialog (which will definitely delay the release) before releasing? The difference would be the manual editing of the widget config.json of course.

What's your opinion? Earlier release or fully configurable using the UI?

19 Comments
About the Author
I am the GIS Manager for Calhoun County, Alabama. I have been an GIS Developer for nearly two decades. My areas of expertise is Web App Development, widget development, along with Javascript API Development and some occasional .Net development.