Building Your GIS Network: 5 Tips for International Students

05-21-2024 10:54 AM
OluwaferanmiAkinyemi
New Contributor III
13 14 1,074

feranmi-ypn-blog-headshot-800px.jpgBuilding a strong network in the GIS space is crucial for international students studying in the United States, especially if you utilize GIS tools in your career as a geographer, GIS analyst, urban planner, statistician, etc. It not only allows for professional growth and development, but it also builds relationships that can lead to internships, career opportunities, and partnerships.

My name is Oluwaferanmi Akinyemi. I hold a bachelor’s degree in geography (meteorology) at the Federal University of Technology Minna, Nigeria, and I am currently pursuing a master’s degree in geography at Kent State University, Ohio, USA.

In this blog post, I'll give some helpful tips for international students like me on how to properly build their GIS networks.

Tip 1: Join GIS Associations and Organizations

Joining GIS groups is an excellent opportunity to meet like-minded people, learn from seasoned experts, and keep up with industry trends. Find local chapters of organizations such as Esri Young Professionals Network (YPN), URISA, Women in GIS, USGIF, ASPRS, EDGE, AAG, and Esri  Community and sign up as a member.

Being a member of the Esri YPN has helped me to connect with students and professionals alike, to share my interests and my past projects, and get to know about what other people are doing, to share ideas, and to collaborate.

I encourage you to attend meetings, workshops, and conferences to connect with other students and professionals. You can also volunteer in these groups if you have the opportunity, since this will allow you to connect with other professionals, especially if you are reluctant to strike up a conversation.

Becoming involved in an association like AAG can open many doors as it did for me.Becoming involved in an association like AAG can open many doors as it did for me.

Tip 2: Attend GIS Events and Conferences

Attending GIS events and conferences provides another great opportunity to network with industry experts, showcase your skill sets and projects, and learn about recent developments in the field. Consider attending events such as the Esri User Conference, Esri Federal GIS Conference, Esri Develop Summit, GIS Pro, GIS Day celebrations, and regional conferences.

My first conference experience in the United States was at the regional arm of the American Association of Geographers (AAG) and I proceeded from there to the national convergence. These experiences helped me connect with experts in the field, as well as other fields and the intersection between those fields. I equally connected with other international and domestic students, shared ideas, and took advantage of other opportunities.

Consider presenting research or volunteering at these events to boost your profile. Look out for “Call for Papers” and submit an abstract about a project you’ve worked on. Presenting your research or project is an excellent way to demonstrate your enthusiasm, ideas, and eagerness to learn and improve. Be confident in what you've done and how you did it and be open to critique. If conferences are not an option, attend a local meetup with regional GIS group. You can join a YPN Chapter as they host in-person meetups throughout the year.

Attending the 2024 AAG Annual Conference as a student assistant in Honolulu, HawaiiAttending the 2024 AAG Annual Conference as a student assistant in Honolulu, Hawaii

Tip 3: Social Media Networking

LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook are excellent channels for connecting with GIS professionals and organizations. Create a professional LinkedIn profile that highlights your GIS abilities, experience, and interests.

Join GIS-related groups on LinkedIn and Facebook, such as the YPN and URISA LinkedIn groups and participate in discussions to broaden your network and connect with industry experts. Share your work with the group occasionally, and tag relevant people in the field for their feedback and to increase your reach.

Also, share a detailed recap of your experiences at GIS conferences and events, tag the conference host, your new networks, etc. Using hashtags is another way to expand your audience. Download this eBook to learn how to leverage social media to boost your career.

Here is an example of my own LinkedIn post, where I give a detailed recap of my AAG experience.

Post a detailed recap of your conference experience like I did when attending AAG, 2024.Post a detailed recap of your conference experience like I did when attending AAG, 2024.

Tip 4: Mentorship and Guidance

The value of having a mentor and advisor in the profession cannot be overstated. Seeking mentorship from experienced GIS professionals can provide vital insights and help you pursue your career goals. Contact professors, industry experts, or graduates who have similar interests and aspirations.

Request informational interviews or mentorship opportunities to benefit from their experiences and expertise in preparing you for opportunities and guiding you on your career path. You can also join the URISA Mentor Network to become a mentor or mentee. Browse through this Mentorship space on Esri Community for resources.

Approach others and get to know their work and research. This was at AAG Annual Meeting, 2024.Approach others and get to know their work and research. This was at AAG Annual Meeting, 2024.

Tip 5: Volunteering or Internship

Volunteering or interning in GIS-related positions provides hands-on experience and opportunities to network in the industry. Look for internships, research projects, or volunteer opportunities in universities, research institutes, government organizations, or private businesses.

Esri offers a student assistantship program where you can volunteer at the Esri User Conference, Esri Federal GIS Conference, and Esri Developer Summit. These experiences not only improve your skills but also help you grow your professional network and gain a competitive advantage in the job market.

I recently volunteered as a student assistant at the AAG Annual Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii, and had the opportunity to connect with faculty and students across the United States as well as industry experts. The same opportunity connected me with Esri staff and Esri YPN Advisory Board Member, which gave me the advantage of authoring this blog.

Here are three examples of international students and their experience in volunteering at Esri conferences:

Connecting with Rosemary who is on the Esri Young Professionals Network (YPN) Advisory Board.Connecting with Rosemary who is on the Esri Young Professionals Network (YPN) Advisory Board.

Building a strong GIS network as an international student involves proactive participation, persistence, and a willingness to step outside of your comfort zone. It can be challenging due to language barriers, culture, and level of expertise, but by establishing strong connections using either of the tips I outlined above, you can create a powerful network to assist your academic and career paths in the GIS field.

If you have any questions, connect with me on LinkedIn or email me at oakinyem@kent.edu.

14 Comments