May 15, 2018: Cartography. MOOC Ask Me Anything (AMA)

04-30-2018 11:14 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Live Today! AMA Event on GeoNet

Tuesday, May 15, 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT)

Join our Cartography. MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Tuesday, May 15, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask our guests questions about the Cartography. MOOC course, about cartography in general, great maps, best practices or anything else that comes to mind. 

AMA Guests 

Ken Field

John Nelson

Wesley Jones

Nathan Shephard

Edie Punt

Craig Williams 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding PrinciplesBe Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.       
    •                    

Please note: The AMA will be live when you see a picture of our guests below.          

We are live!

John NelsonWeAMA fun. Ask John Anything!

9:30 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

9:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:00 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:25 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our Guests?

10:30 a.m. - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with our wonderful Cartography. MOOC Guests. 

Thank you for your questions and participation. 

The thread has shifted to a time-stamp view. To view the threads in their entirety, you can select the Actions above the right corner of the discussion thread and select View PDF. 

165 Replies
AlexMohr2
New Contributor II

Where do you see the future of cartography going? I love all the computerization and the ability to create movable 3D renditions, but I also love the feel of a map in my hands that I can open and peruse at my leisure.

0 Kudos
WesleyJones1
Esri Contributor

The sky is the limit

0 Kudos
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @Alex,

You can buy the Cartography. book on Amazon.

KenField
Esri Contributor

The future will be what it will be. Cartography has always been a mix of art, science and technology. Technology has always brought intriguing new opportunities while, at the same time, leading some to bemoan change. You have to keep up with the change but life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it. The death of paper is greatly exaggerated for sure.

Bueller...Bueller...

JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

Finally, a Ferris Bueller reference!!

EdiePunt
Esri Contributor

Hey Alex--
A map is just graphic communication of spatial phenomena. The techniques and styles will change over time, but there will always be a need to convey this information in a clear and informative way. Keep that in mind (more so than the nifty techniques) and you can't go wrong. 

Edie

JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

10 more minutes! We've lost threaded conversations for some reason, they are all flat chronological now. But keep them rolling in! 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-Q2MMZOFZpCOZ
New Contributor II

Ok glad it's not just me, I thought I may have hit some weird sorting option on accident :-s

LesliHaynes
New Contributor

John,

You mentioned using a vignettes instead of neatline...can you explain?

JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

Hi Lesli! Yeah, I find that vignettes (those little faded edges around the perimeter of a map) is a soft way to visually frame visual content. I like neatlines sometimes (though rarely) but only if part of my map spills OVER the neatline.