May 15, 2018: Cartography. MOOC Ask Me Anything (AMA)

04-30-2018 11:14 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Live Today! AMA Event on GeoNet

Tuesday, May 15, 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT)

Join our Cartography. MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Tuesday, May 15, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask our guests questions about the Cartography. MOOC course, about cartography in general, great maps, best practices or anything else that comes to mind. 

AMA Guests 

Ken Field

John Nelson

Wesley Jones

Nathan Shephard

Edie Punt

Craig Williams 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding PrinciplesBe Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.       
    •                    

Please note: The AMA will be live when you see a picture of our guests below.          

We are live!

John NelsonWeAMA fun. Ask John Anything!

9:30 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

9:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:00 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:25 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our Guests?

10:30 a.m. - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with our wonderful Cartography. MOOC Guests. 

Thank you for your questions and participation. 

The thread has shifted to a time-stamp view. To view the threads in their entirety, you can select the Actions above the right corner of the discussion thread and select View PDF. 

165 Replies
EdiePunt
Esri Contributor

Great question Samantha!

We often find that it's the seemingly-simple features that are the most useful and for people. A few of my favorites in ArcGIS Pro are:

• A very powerful undo-redo stack
  • Ability to link multiple views, even across 2D-3D
  • Multiple layouts
  • Map frames in a layout clipped to any shape
  • Any color used anywhere-- even in a small part of a symbol-- can be independently wholly or partially transparent
  • Font preview when choosing fonts
  • A very powerful explore/navigate tool

Edie

JonGirand
New Contributor II

Can you recommend good search engines to locate public domain maps?

0 Kudos
JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

I google image search if I am looking for an example style or something. The Library of Congress map twitter account has lots of inspiring old maps. 

JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

Here's a link to that feed. Good stuff.

LOCMaps (@LOCMaps) | Twitter 

0 Kudos
WesleyJones1
Esri Contributor

David Rumsey has a great site where most are public domain (not all) David Rumsey Historical Map Collection| The Collection 

JonGirand
New Contributor II

How do I do a search for public domain maps given a geographic constraint of a large scale rectangular box?

0 Kudos
AlexMohr2
New Contributor II

Can you tell us more about the use of transparency? I know some of you use it more than others, but what do like best about it? 

JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

Transparency gives you the option to add a whole new visual dimension into cartography. A peer of hue and brightness, etc. You can make all sorts of cool things. Here is an example of using transparency on a DEM to look like mist.

https://nation.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=80a6bf8ab21e4f538389b63580e85a48 

AlexMohr2
New Contributor II

Very cool! Thanks!

0 Kudos
GeorgeDurkee1
New Contributor III

Hey, just took a quick look at DEM to fog effect. That is way, way cool. Thanks!