May 15, 2018: Cartography. MOOC Ask Me Anything (AMA)

04-30-2018 11:14 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Live Today! AMA Event on GeoNet

Tuesday, May 15, 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT)

Join our Cartography. MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Tuesday, May 15, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask our guests questions about the Cartography. MOOC course, about cartography in general, great maps, best practices or anything else that comes to mind. 

AMA Guests 

Ken Field

John Nelson

Wesley Jones

Nathan Shephard

Edie Punt

Craig Williams 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding PrinciplesBe Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.       
    •                    

Please note: The AMA will be live when you see a picture of our guests below.          

We are live!

John NelsonWeAMA fun. Ask John Anything!

9:30 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

9:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:00 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:25 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our Guests?

10:30 a.m. - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with our wonderful Cartography. MOOC Guests. 

Thank you for your questions and participation. 

The thread has shifted to a time-stamp view. To view the threads in their entirety, you can select the Actions above the right corner of the discussion thread and select View PDF. 

165 Replies
PatrickOlsen1
New Contributor

... and no, I'm not British.

0 Kudos
KenField
Esri Contributor

All good. I have all three. I'd say the latter is more practically focused. It also bridges pure cartography with design in a more general sense. It has far more examples than the others. It's visually enticing and less, ahem, academic in layout,structure and tone. It also has somewhere in the order of 100 contributors which means it's a collective 'voice' for what cartography is in 2018. There's a reason it has a period (full stop) at the end of the title...it's really the only book you need going forward. A desk companion, a sage, a reference, a compendium of sound advice and encouragement to think about the importance of thinking in cartographic design.

All that said, it's really up for others to review and determine how they see my contribution. And that's something I am scared stiff of!!!

CathyWilson2
Occasional Contributor

Would you please enlighten those of us who have no idea what those are? Books?

Thank you!

LawrenceTucker
New Contributor II

I have encountered some strange "zig zag" lines while working with an .mxd file and downloading some tax parcel property lines onto the map. I am creating a map of a small area of about 5 towns and have added a layer which is actually a polygon on top of the raster image of the area I am studying.  The taxpar "lines" don't look like lines at all ,but rather appear like a sawblade edge. They also do get really fuzzy and pixelated when I zoom in.

Please help as this is a very important project for us.

thanks,

Larry

JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

Hi Larry. When line features are really packed with curves the nodes and curves can really stack up at some scales. Try generalizing your line. Also, play with the line symbol. You can change the bends to look rounded, which is a super trick.

LawrenceTucker
New Contributor II

John,

Thanks much for your help. I have tried to change the symbol and that has not worked.

I have attached a "snip" of what I am encountering.

the lines appear to be vectors, but perhaps you are on to something by referring to them as curves.

Also, need to address the blurring or pixelating when I zoom in.

thanks,

LT

0 Kudos
LorenMuehlius
New Contributor III

I know in ArcGIS Desktop if you had a layer with transparency above other layers, it would rasterize layers below (even vector layers). Don't know if Pro does this, but may be something to look at.

Loren

0 Kudos
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

Can you provide more information about how you're bringing this data into Google Earth? As a service?  Exported as KML?

0 Kudos
CraigWilliams
Esri Contributor

Your lines are vector or are they part of the raster? It sounds like you may be looking at raster data.

LawrenceTucker
New Contributor II

Craig,

Thanks much for your help. I have tried to change the symbol and that has not worked.

I have attached a "snip" of what I am encountering.

the lines appear to be vectors, but perhaps you are on to something by referring to them as curves.

Also, need to address the blurring or pixelating when I zoom in.

thanks,

LT

0 Kudos