May 15, 2018: Cartography. MOOC Ask Me Anything (AMA)

04-30-2018 11:14 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Live Today! AMA Event on GeoNet

Tuesday, May 15, 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT)

Join our Cartography. MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Tuesday, May 15, 2018, from 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. (PDT). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask our guests questions about the Cartography. MOOC course, about cartography in general, great maps, best practices or anything else that comes to mind. 

AMA Guests 

Ken Field

John Nelson

Wesley Jones

Nathan Shephard

Edie Punt

Craig Williams 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding PrinciplesBe Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.       
    •                    

Please note: The AMA will be live when you see a picture of our guests below.          

We are live!

John NelsonWeAMA fun. Ask John Anything!

9:30 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

9:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:00 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:25 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for our Guests?

10:30 a.m. - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with our wonderful Cartography. MOOC Guests. 

Thank you for your questions and participation. 

The thread has shifted to a time-stamp view. To view the threads in their entirety, you can select the Actions above the right corner of the discussion thread and select View PDF. 

165 Replies
CandaceLoya

Thank you for posting your questions. In regards to the question for pricing, we do not have an answer to this question at this time. I will share your question with our support team to give you the most accurate answer possible. Please be sure check back over the next 24-48 hours for a response from our support team on pricing. 

0 Kudos
Jean_AnnRodine
New Contributor

WHERE IS THE AMA PAGE?

Been trying to find it for an hour to sign up. 

1) Go to the AMA page.     Refreshed the screen, then "AMA page" had a link. Clicked on it only for it to take me to December 2017 event. 

WTF! - Where's the Form? 

WTP - Where's the Page?

Can't following the rest of the instructions since I can't find the AMA page!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CandaceLoya

Hi Jean Ann Rodine‌.

Follow and BookmarkI am sorry you seem confused by the instructions provided. In the first paragraph of the instructions, it states, "The URL provided in your invitation (a MOOC announcement, an e-mail, a tweet, etc.) is the actual page where the discussion will occur on the date noted."

This particular discussion where you made your comment is the actual Cartography. MOOC AMA. No need to search for an AMA page within GeoNet. Simply bookmark or follow this discussion. See image to the right. 

The Action menu is just below the pencil at next to your avatar at the top-right of the discussion. Click Follow, where you want to receive notifications, and/or Bookmark so you can find the discussion easier in the future.

Each time a comment or question is posted you will then receive a notification it has been updated with a new comment of change. If you are following the discussion thread the day of the event, you can refresh your screen and see new answers and questions posted during the event. 

You can also find the link at the top of the Cartography. MOOC‌ page in the Announcement above the content just below the GeoNet navigation.

Cartography. MOOC AMA Announcement

I hope this information helps and that you are able to join us on May 15th for the Cartography. MOOC AMA.

Delighted to be of service,

Candace Loya‌, GeoNet Community Content Manager

0 Kudos
JonGirand
New Contributor II

Ken talked about Normalization problems in cartography.  Here is a potential example. This morning's  Wall Street Journal has a map showing the number of oil rigs in the various oil basin in the western US.  The graphic data is not normalized so it appears there is a very large amount of drilling activity (463 rigs) in the Permian Basin, compared to the small activity (70 rigs) in the Cana Woodford Basin. However, if one compared the normalized drilling activity in the huge area of the Permian Basin covering west Texas and parts of Mexico and New Mexico with the very smallest Cana Woodford Basin using area as a divisor, one would see that the Cana Woodford Basin is one of the hottest drilling areas in the US.

BrianAnderson9
New Contributor II

Thank you Jon, this is a great example.

Just to go a step further, another way to normalize the data might be by looking at the number of pipe feet needed for drilling. So many rigs over so many feet of pipe. Or maybe the inverse, the number of pipe feet per the number of rigs. There are multiple ways to normalize data, not just dividing by area. It once again boils down to what it is you want to show or try to explain.

JonGirand
New Contributor II

Brian,

Thanks. Here is the exhibit I referenced.

The oil driling company, Baker Hughes, the source of the exhibit, probably did not have or want to share the normalizing data you describe.

But as a MOOC student if I knew where to get a file showing the location of the oil basins in the western US, along with some attribute data I could show where are the hottest places to drill.

Jon

KenField
Esri Contributor

That map actually has a series of small multiple icons - it's a technique called isotype so it doesn't suffer from the lack of normalization. It uses repetition to portray the differences in magnitude.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable
  1. How did you get into the business of cartography and maps? Has cartography always been of interest, or was it something you discovered later on in life?
  2. What is your fondest cartography memory from your own work, or someone else's work that has inspired you?
  3. What is your favorite map of all-time, historic or recent?
  4. What piece of work that you created are you most proud of, and why (cartography or otherwise)?
JohnMNelson
Esri Contributor

Hi Kitty!

1. I was taking art classes and geography classes in college. Then I took a GIS class and was obsessed. So I majored in geography with an emphasis on the "techniques" (GIS, Remote Sensing, Cartography). I liked cartography best.

2. A map of mine landed in National Geographic the day of my mom's memorial. Dad and I walked up to the mailbox and saw it there together. It was a good moment, and helpful for us both.

3. Hmmmm. Too many!

4. Hmmmm. Too hard!

KaylaResnick
New Contributor II

Maybe don't pick an absolute favorite piece of work you created, but what are some techniques you've used most successfully? Anything you've been most excited about recently?