Mar. 2, 2018 - Earth Imagery at Work AMA (Ask Me Anything)

02-21-2018 01:38 PM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Live AMA Event on GeoNet: Friday, Mar. 2, 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (PST)

We invite you to join Earth Imagery at Work MOOC instructors Kevin Butler and Emily Windahl here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Friday March 2, 2018 from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (PST). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask Kevin and Emily questions about the course, about earth imagery data, Esri software, GIS or anything else that comes to mind. 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and Kevin and Emily will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. Please see instructions on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

We are live with Kevin Butler and Emily Windahl‌!

Live with Kevin ButlerLive with Emily Windahl

Thanks for joining us!

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
  • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles‌: Be Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
  • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies. 
  •           

10:30 am - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

11:00 am - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

11:25 am - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for Kevin or Emily?

11:30 am - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with Kevin and Emily. They will continue to answer questions as schedules allow.

Thanks for joining us and asking great questions!  

0 Kudos
59 Replies
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor

And this is why I love ESRI.

KevinButler2
New Contributor II

Sure, the bears have a height advantage, but those short arms have no reach. JD is gonna hit them with jabs all day long. Dangermond retains title.

ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

Funny scenario, Michael. I have to think that Jack would have the fight already mapped out ahead of time... and leverage the power of GIS to win! 

Esri Community Strategist
TonyBatistich1
New Contributor II

Jack has such charisma that the bears would just melt in awe.

deleted-user-7oM7Lk8AiWFP
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin and Emily, 

Thanks for AMA!

1. If someone is new in GIS field and want to be professional, do you have any advise, study sources for free like this useful course?

2. how long it takes to be professional in this field?

3. what do you think about GIS field job opportunities in the US and all over the world?

KevinButler2
New Contributor II

Hey Sahar--this is a great question!

I tend to think of GIS as a tool rather than a field/industry unto itself. Most of the people I've gotten to know who do GIS in some capacity have tied it into a bigger field of study. For instance, if you want to map vegetation, you have to have expertise in both remote sensing as well as plant biology to be effective.

There are a ton of free resources for stuff like this. Esri has a suite of offerings through the MOOCs program. A google search will also bring up other free options. These kinds of courses are a great start, especially in helping you understand what's possible with the technology. If you want to be a professional who specializes in GIS, then you'll need some kind of accreditation/certification/university degree.

I think that GIS opportunities are only going to increase in the future. Everything has a spatial component now. Now that everything is "smart" or connected, the ability to speak to different devices is going to become part of GIS as well. My guess is that the international growth will far outpace the US growth since there is so much room to leap frog in terms of technology.

TonyBatistich1
New Contributor II

I guess this is a worldwide trend but here in NZ we are now talking about young people getting into many professions without having formal academic university training.  Rather like the 1930s 1940s where you started as the postal clerk in an office and in 20 years you were the managing director.   As a former geography teacher and then GIS Team Leader/Manager I had a strong interest in getting GIS into schools.  It went well originally and I was able to employ two of my senior students from a high school for a couple of years before they went off to university.

But schools here seem driven by examinations now and getting GIS into the curriculum happens only in a few schools.

Sahar,  these ESRI MOOC courses give enough introduction and detail to get a good understanding of GIS.  Why not keep doing them and just turning up at a company or more likely a local government agency  that uses the software and ask for a 'starting-out' job?   With MOOC  behind you you'd have plenty to demonstrate your interest and knowledge.

As a former employer I went for the person not necessarily the degree and grew them in the workplace.

KevinButler2
New Contributor II

Yeah I absolutely agree with this. Learn a little, see where it can get you and repeat until someone wants you. If you're willing/able to relocate, you'll always have more options.

TonyBatistich1
New Contributor II

Can I give a 'push' for three more MOOC courses coming up:

- Storymaps        that teaches you a heap on publishing and web apps, so valuable in some many fields. The exercise in the Nepal project was a snippet

-  Cartography     making great maps - new one for me but I've been on a course with Kenneth Field. This will be mighty.

-  Locational Advantage   business oriented, analysis

These all give you part of GIS  jigsaw.

AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Tony!

We do not currently offer a MOOC on story maps. Perhaps you were thinking of another Esri training option? I agree that story maps are awesome.

As for Cartography. and The Location Advantage, they start on April 18 and we'd love to have Earth Imagery at Work students join us. We love how the more experienced students (either experienced with the topic or the MOOC program) help the other students and instructors.

Adena