Location Advantage MOOC AMA (Ask Me Anything): Thursday Nov 30, 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm PT

11-22-2017 10:48 AM
AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Event details:

• What: Join instructor John Shramek, course host Linda Peters and Education Manager Joseph J. Kerski, Ph.D., GISP for an AMA (Ask Me Anything) live on the GeoNet Community in the Location Advantage MOOC group. Ask the panelists anything about the topics covered in the course and any fun, interesting and thought-provoking questions. 
  • When: The AMA event will take place in this discussion thread (right on this page!) on Thursday November 30 , 2017 from 12:30pm-1:30pm PT.

How to participate:

• During the AMA, if you are logged into GeoNet (here's how to log in with your Esri credentials), you can post your questions in the comments below and the panelists will reply to your questions in the comments. 
  • You're welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA but we won't begin answering them until the AMA begins on November 30th at 12:30pm PT.

Reminder: AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines

• You will need a GeoNet account (uses Esri credentials) in order to ask questions. If you do not yet have Esri credentials, get them right away; it can take a day or two to process the request.
  • When asking questions and making comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles.
  • During the AMA this discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.

You'll know the AMA is live when you see a picture below with John, Linda and Joseph. From there on, remember to refresh the page to see our updates and new questions and comments. 

Thanks for joining us and we'll see you on Thursday!

12:30 pm - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!

1:00 pm - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

1:25 pm - Five minutes to go! Got any fun questions for Joseph or John?

1:30 pm - Overtime! We'll take your questions too during this bonus 10 minutes! 

1:40 pm  - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended but Joseph, Linda and John will continue to answer questions as schedules allow. Thanks for joining us and asking great questions! 

64 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Adena, great question. Business Analyst can be used for very quick, dynamic analyses, or for more in-depth, long-term, trend analyses or similar as well. In Business Analyst Web you can use the Color-Coded Map to look at the differing levels of a single variable to quickly to get a look at the demographics or market characteristics of an area where you may be thinking of locating. Or, you can use Smart Map Search to filter and compare up to five variables. Use these to either decide on the best potential area to locate in, or look at the types of consumers who may live in the area you're already located, for marketing purposes.  

JavierGamero
New Contributor III

I am not sure if this is the right place to make questions but I am a business student. I am from Honduras. The Choosing the Right Location and Understanding customers sections were awesome but I wonder, ArcGIS and Business Analyst provides data for my country?

LindaPeters
Esri Contributor

Javier

You can look at Esri Demographics | Explore Data  and see all the different types of data available.

We have data for over 100 countries and counting!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Javier, we have data in Business Analyst for over 135 countries. And, ArcGIS Online has millions of data layers, if you use the Add button in the map, and search 'ArcGIS Online'. In Business Analyst Web, click the country flag icon at the top right of the map, and change the country dataset to Honduras.

LindaPeters
Esri Contributor

Javier  - here is another link - that lets you browse country by country:

doc.arcgis.com/en/esri-demographics/

Jia_ChengZhu
New Contributor

Hi to all! I am a user from China and it's about 4:30 AM here.

My questions are

* could anyone hear or know about an example of using ArcGIS tools for social studying, as their data may be not as accurate as the economic data? In the discussion forum of the course, I saw many people's use are neighborhood oriented, not dealing with big data like labor statistics but in small scale. How will GIS tool make an impact on local communities?

*  Usually in China, we as citizen see the governmental report in the compiled format with the rough numbers instead of detailed attributes of target areas, I am thinking of tracking them in lists of data, could you give me some pieces of advice in this kind of reversing engineering the data using ArcGIS tool?

LindaPeters
Esri Contributor

Jia -

Thanks for the great question.   I would suggest you look at the National Statistical Bureau website for China.  Typically these agencies do have in different areas including population and housing, labor, unemployment and more. 

You may have to do some work to compile this data for analysis, but it would let you study at sub-national levels. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi 嘉诚 朱, you're right it's often harder to find smaller, more local datasets than larger. But GIS can help a lot with local communities and efforts, like grant proposals or civic projects, just by showing where people live or what types of business exist in different areas. I don't have any advice on reverse engineering, or extrapolating specific numbers from rough numbers, but let me know if you learn anything else on it! Thanks for all of your great comments in class!

JavierGamero
New Contributor III

Jia, right now its about 4:30 P.M. here:

I just really want to know if you have ever wondered how to make the same but at a familiar level. If we studied a really small community with a population ranging from 100-200.

0 Kudos
JavierGamero
New Contributor III

What about tapestry segmentation if I wanted to know socioeconomic and demographic composition of a place? I mean, I am not really sure what methodology was used in order to get data, moreover, there are many places a bit forgotten here.