How do I change the file location of layers under the Table of Contents?

10-03-2018 01:07 PM
DavidRand
New Contributor

Working on a project for a GIS assignment in class I accidentally saved the highlighted layer in the wrong location.  Now I am trying to change that location.  How would I go about doing this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
StephenM
Occasional Contributor II

If I understand correctly, you want njcities_sp and njdistricts_sp to be in the geodatabase on the E:\ drive rather than the geodatabase on the C:\ drive? There are a number of ways that you could do this, but the most straightforward are probably:

1. Export njcities_sp and njdistricts_sp to the correct geodatabase by right-clicking each layer and going to Data -> Export Data.
  2. ArcMap will ask if you want to add the exported data to the map. You can do that, then remove the layers that are in the wrong location (right-click -> Remove).

- or -

1. Copy the feature classes and paste them to the correct geodatabase using the Catalog window or ArcCatalog.
  2. To update the data source for njcities_sp and njdistricts_sp to point to the new versions on the E:\ drive, you can do one of the following:
    • Remove njcities_sp and njdistricts_sp from the Table of Contents (right-click -> Remove) and add the copied versions from the E:\ drive geodatabase
    • Update the data source for each layer to point to the new copy on the E:\ drive (right-click -> Properties -> Source tab -> Set Data Source)
DavidRand
New Contributor

Ok. I'm going in to campus to work on it today so I'll try this.  Thanks!!

0 Kudos