How can you update latitude and longitude of points by draging them, and have them update in the attribute table so they can be exported to something like excel with the accurate locations?

Jump to solution
12-12-2018 08:10 AM
DianeTirianto
New Contributor

I am conducting a Tree Inventory and our GPS recorder was not accurate. I spent the time to move all the points around in GIS using the editor to place them in their correct locations. However, when I move the points, their latitude and longitude are not updated in the attribute table. So when I export the data to Excel, it does not have the updated coordinates. I want to export to Excel to have a database of all the tree information.

Is there a way to have latitude and longitude by a dynamic part of the attribute table? Or a way to update the new coordinates that have been dragged?

Point in incorrect location. When point is moved and the identify tool is used again, the coordinates are not updated. This image shows where tree is meant to be. If you look at other picture provided, the latitude and longitude have not been updated after using the identify tool on both.

Please Help.

Thank you all!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is it an event layer or a shapefile you are using or a feature class?

X, Y coordinates won't get updated unless you recalculate those fields... preferably in new fields to retain the old information... IN featureclasses Shape_Length and Shape_Area should get updated

You can use Calculate geometry from the table or Add XY coordinates from arctoolbox

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is it an event layer or a shapefile you are using or a feature class?

X, Y coordinates won't get updated unless you recalculate those fields... preferably in new fields to retain the old information... IN featureclasses Shape_Length and Shape_Area should get updated

You can use Calculate geometry from the table or Add XY coordinates from arctoolbox

DianeTirianto
New Contributor

Hello there,

This worked. Thank you!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

glad it worked out Diane

Do heed the warning about not overwriting existing fields... you never know when that data may be important... storage space is cheap, even in files

0 Kudos