DIY Geo Apps MOOC "Ask Me Anything" Event

09-04-2018 09:37 AM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for joining us!

Wednesday, September 19, 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT)

Join our DIY Geo Apps MOOC guests here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Wednesday, September 19, 2018, from 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. (PDT). Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

10:00 a.m. You can now ask your question!

10:25 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.

10:30 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!

10:50 a.m. - Ten minutes to go! Got any fun questions for guests?

11:00 a.m. - That's a wrap! See you at the next Ask Me Anything event.

AMA Guests 

John Shramek

Derek Law

John Gravois

Rupert Essinger

Ian Wittenmyer

Sample Questions:

• What are careers in GIS?
  • What is the DIY Geo Apps MOOC?
  • Do you have any pets, etc.?
  • How long have you worked in GIS?
  • What made you choose GIS as a career?

We

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and our guests will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. See instructions 
on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles‌ Be Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies.
71 Replies
IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor

that is a classic.  I've got Everything Sings by Denis Wood next in my reading que.  I like his narrative atlas concept

CatherineSchenck-Yglesias1
New Contributor

DIY app inspiration

When approaching the DIY portion of the course, I find myself thinking of apps that already exist (e.g., for personal use - restaurant or photo apps searchable by location, and for business use only those geodata portals I've already used/seen in my work in demography and health informatics) rather than thinking "outside the box" in creating a new app.

Where do you get your inspiration and how do you suggest students think more creatively?

Since I am learning, should I try to replicate functionality in apps that I have seen and found useful for the DIY assignments if I cannot think of a completely novel geoapp, and then perhaps I'd see how it should be extended and made more useful?

Thanks!

JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor

i don't think its actually crucial that you think creatively right out of the box. the internet is full of examples of people tearing something that already exists apart and rebuilding it themselves for educational purposes.

i think you're on the right track in thinking about how something familiar could be extended or made more useful because it provides a concrete breaking off point for exploration.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Catherine,

You can definitely just expand on what you learned in the first part of the exercise, and/or make apps based on things that you seen in the past. Getting an app up and running, and then incrementally adding new functionality or changing things in and out is a great way to learn. I know what you mean about getting inspiration; some of the apps we've seen in the course have really amazed me in terms of creativity and originality! Such as:

Goat production in Nepal (Section 2)
https://diygeoapps2.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=bd5172207f6247418bb758867e2d529a

Mars geography
https://diygeoapps1.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=44c448f75d6343a08691ae8e758f84c5

Global terrorist attacks
https://diygeoapps1.maps.arcgis.com/apps/StoryMapBasic/index.html?appid=5c0197dbf53d4b4c9a2021508a70...

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Catherine,

> Where do you get your inspiration and how do you suggest students think more creatively?

Personally, I continually look and see web apps created and deployed by others to be "inspired" about what is possible with developing web apps. Some good resources to check out:

Hope this helps,

IanWittenmyer
Esri Contributor

One way to really be creative and personalize your apps is to focus on the content of your map and the text that goes into the map title and descriptions that help to support the message of your map.  There are a lot opportunities to be creative in what you show on the map and how you describe it.  there is a cool collection of maps for inspiration here .

JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Y'all! Hope you had half as much fun as we did!

CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

That

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Candace. It was fun and hope to do it again.

Rupert

https://storymaps.arcgis.com 

JOSEPH__O_OLUSINA
New Contributor

1) I am having challenge in recovering my ArcGIS Online password, 

2) I could not log in into the: Create Collection and Dashboard Apps, Section 3 Exercise 1

"survey123.arcgis.com". I have tried the suggestions on "Forum" but still having challenges.

Kindly help in solving these two challenges.

0 Kudos