Apr. 24, 2018 - Location Advantage AMA (Ask Me Anything)

04-03-2018 02:41 PM
CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

Live AMA Event on GeoNet
Tuesday, April 24, 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (PDT)

We invite you to join The Location Advantage MOOC instructors John Shramek and Joseph Kerski here on the GeoNet Community for a LIVE AMA (Ask Me Anything) event. The AMA will take place in this discussion thread on Tuesday, April 24, 2018, from 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (PDT). 

*Click HERE to convert exact time for different countries.

This is an opportunity to ask the Location Advantage MOOC instructors questions about the course, about earth imagery data, Esri software, GIS or anything else that comes to mind. 

How does the AMA work?
During the AMA, you can post your questions by clicking  the "Add Reply" button below and John and/or Joseph will reply to your questions in comments. You are welcome to post questions ahead of the AMA and they will answer them during the AMA.

Please note: You must be logged in to post questions and see responses. Please see instructions on How to Log into GeoNet for the AMA

AMA Tips and GeoNet Community Guidelines
    • When asking questions and comments during the AMA, remember to follow the GeoNet Community Guiding Principles‌: Be Helpful, Be Human, Be Smart.
    • This discussion page will not auto-refresh, so please remember to refresh this page to see new questions, comments and replies. 
    •                      

Please note: The AMA will be live when you see a picture below with John and Joseph.                

AMA Live with Joseph Kerski and John Shramek

• 10:30 a.m. - And we're live! Go ahead and ask your questions!
  • 10:45 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.
  • 11:00 a.m. - We're halfway through, Great questions! Keep them coming!
  • 11:15 a.m. - If you are just joining us, feel free to ask any question.
  • 11:25 a.m. - Five minutes to go! Got any last minute fun questions for John and Joseph?
  • 11:30  a.m. - And that's a wrap! The live AMA has ended with John and Joseph. 

Thank you for your questions and participation. Feel free to continue to post your questions and we will answer them.

18 Replies
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Candace! It will be fun and interesting and I am honored to be with my colleagues in this MOOC AMA!

Joseph

Joseph J. Kerski, Ph.D., GISP | Education Manager

Esri | 1 International Court | Broomfield CO 80021-3200 | USA

T 303 449 7779<tel:303%20449%207779> x1-8237 | M 303 625 3925<tel:303%20625%203925> | jkerski@esri.com<mailto:jkerski@esri.com> | esri.com<http://esri.com/>

esriurl.com/josephkerski | http://twitter.com/josephkerski

THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™

deleted-user-7oM7Lk8AiWFP
New Contributor II

Hi,

Thank you for AMA Guests and organisers,

1- May I use my Arc GIS online credentials for this course, for doing other Esri training courses too, in this six weeks?

2- Do you have any advice for job interview around GIS area?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Sahar, thank you for the questions!

For #1, yes you technically can use the ArcGIS Online login for other training, although you'd need to verify the requirements with that particular course. Some courses may need the login to also be one that is enabled for Esri access (which the ArcGIS Online login we give you for the MOOCs is not). For the MOOCs, you need to use the credentials that are specific to the course, to have access to all of the materials.

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Sahar:

On your #2 question - https://community.esri.com/community/education/blog/2018/04/24/gis-career-pathway-guidelines   <-- See my post on GIS career and interview guidelines.  I hope it is helpful - it includes job interview tactics, networking, resume and CV building, and much more.  I hope it is helpful!

--Joseph Kerski 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My advice for #2 is, for getting interviews, try to get experience as well as education, however you can. Volunteer experience, self-directed cartography or analysis projects, and internships can help fill your resume. For the interview itself, highlight what you have done on the job, to show them what you can do for them. Research the company and think about what their needs or wants might be, and talk about how you'd address them. That's even a good question to ask during the interview: what impediments are you having right now, what are your long-term goals for the organization, or what can I do to make your job easier or implement your vision?

Good luck!

CandaceLoya
Occasional Contributor III

This one is for Joseph, can you share the link to your Ted Talk? I can't find it on the TedTalk channel. Joseph Kerski at TedTalk

0 Kudos
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you for your interest!  Here it is - The Whys of Where - was the focus of the presentation - Whys Of Where | Joseph Kerski | TEDxVail - YouTube  

--Joseph K 

JulieChang1
New Contributor II

Hi John and Joseph!

What is it like working for Esri? And what was the interview process like (in-person vs online video call, etc.) 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Julie,

Esri is great, we get to constantly look to the future and figure out how to help users change the world, literally. It's pretty neat, and everyone's on the same page in that respect.

The interview process is...thorough. Multiple multiple interviews (on the phone, for me, in Colorado anyway). Tip: just because they fly you out to Redlands, CA doesn't mean you're definitely in! But it results in a great team, and turnover is super low. Good luck if you're thinking about it!