Migrating from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro Class Resources

01-05-2021 03:24 PM

Migrating from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro Class Resources

Migrating to ArcGIS Pro should be quick and seamless with many items originally created in ArcMap available in ArcGIS Pro without conversion. With faster tools and integrated 2D and 3D capabilities, ArcGIS Pro will streamline your GIS projects. The following resources are for experienced ArcMap users looking to be productive right away. These resources includes essential ArcGIS Pro terminology and concepts and how to efficiently complete a variety of tasks related to mapping and map series, editing, resources for analysis, working with python, and sharing geospatial data and resources such as web maps, web layers and other items..

Lesson 1 - Getting started with ArcGIS Pro

Lesson 2 - Configure a workspace

In this lesson, students will learn how to configure an ArcGIS Pro workspace. This lesson introduces multiple ways to create a customized workspace at the project and application levels, along with configuring general and advanced options. Students will also learn how to create a project template to standardize their items within a project.
  • Project Templatesa template can include connections to folders, databases, and servers; a template can provide either complete datasets or schema-only data definitions; a template can provide custom geoprocessing toolboxes; and a template can deliver organizational standard layouts and styles to the teams who need them. 
  • Use project favorites - Project favorites are a collection of frequently used folders, databases, toolboxes, servers, custom styles, and other items.
  • Customize the ribbon options - You can customize the ArcGIS Pro ribbon by creating tabs and choosing which commands appear on them. You can also add new groups and commands to existing tabs.
  • Keyboard shortcuts - A keyboard shortcut, or hotkey, is a keystroke or keystroke combination that performs a command you would otherwise perform from the user interface. 

Lesson 3 - Editing features and attributes 

• Editing in ArcGIS Pro - Learn how editing geographic data has become more efficient. 
  • Keyboard shortcuts for editing - Save mouse clicks during editing with these shortcuts.
  • Enable and disable editing using a button  -  the Edit button enables and disables editing tools and feature templates at the application level. It can help safeguard against unintentionally editing feature data without changing permissions at the data source.
  • Coordinate Systems and Transformations - Make sure that all your data is the same coordinate system prior to editing or analysis.
  • Modify existing features - unlocks many key tools and functions within a convenient pane as well as set of tools within the map view. 
  • What is topologyIn geodatabases, topology is the arrangement that defines how point, line, and polygon features share coincident geometry.
    • Edit topologies in ArcGIS Pro - Topological editing automatically modifies adjacent features that share coincident geometry and preserves their connectivity when you finish your edits.
  • Fields, Domains, and SubtypesA successful GIS is built on well-designed schema (attributes, geometry type and coordinate system) as well as schema items (feature classes, domains and subtypes).
  • Contingent values - Contingent attribute values are a data design feature that allow you to make values in one field dependent on values in another field.
  • Enable COGO, then use the Traverse tool to create linear features - coordinate geometry allows a user to create a traverse which is commonly used to create linear features described on a survey or engineering plan.
  • Data Reviewer - The ArcGIS Data Reviewer extension adds a data quality control framework to ArcGIS.

Lesson 4 - Symbolizing Data

• Label Classes Used to restrict labels to certain features or to specify label fields, symbols, scale ranges, label priorities, and sets of label placement options for groups of label.
  • Add Text to a Map View - From the Map tab > Layer group --> Insert Graphics; Add text and right click the text to add a leader line.
  • Convert Labels to Annotation - Gain greater control over labels by creating annotation. 
  • AnnotationAnnotation in the geodatabase is stored in annotation feature classes. Each feature has symbology including font, size, color, and other text symbol properties.
  • Manage Annotation - Learn how you can create, rename, copy, paste, or delete annotation feature classes. You can also view and modify their properties.
  • Learn ArcGIS Arcade - expression language for ArcGIS that allows you to work with map features and manipulate the information to create new attributes on the fly. These new attributes can be used to create custom labels, symbolizations, pop-up windows, or used to evaluate attribute rules.
  • Update Annotation Scale - Have you ever created annotation and realized that a slight change in scale would make it better or more capable of being used in other maps. 
  • Modify existing features - Works on an annotation features. Ex: River feature with curved labels can be converted to Annotation and modified with more vertices or specific bends.
  • Vector Base Maps - Contain vector representations of data across a range of scales. They adapt to the resolution of their display device and can be restyled for multiple uses.
  • Vector Tile Packages – How to share and create a vector tile.
  • Vector Tile Editor - How to edit a vector tile after it has been created.
  • Let's start working with Esri Vector basemaps - Let's use our new skills and learn how to share our product with others.

Lesson 5 - Adding text to a map

Lesson 6 - Displaying raster data

Lesson 7 - Performing analysis

Lesson 8 - Creating map layouts 

Lesson 9 - Sharing Content

• Share with ArcGIS ProArcGIS Pro provides numerous options for sharing your work with others.
  • What can I share from ArcGIS Pro - Layers, maps, and scenes (3d) can be shared from ArcGIS Pro. These items can be consumed across the ArcGIS platform.
  • Introduction to sharing web Layers - You can share your map or selected layers in your map as a web layer. You can also share stand-alone tables. There are seven web layer types that can be shared from ArcGIS Pro: feature, tile, vector tile, map image, imagery, scene, and elevation. 
  • How do I share a web map - With ArcGIS Pro, you can share your maps as web maps to your active portal. A web map is an interactive display of geographic information.
  • What is ArcGIS Enterprise? - Build your foundation with the system that has it all—ArcGIS Enterprise. ArcGIS Enterprise is the complete software system for all your geospatial needs—make maps, analyze geospatial data, and share results to solve problems. Our market-leading GIS mapping software will support your work behind your firewall or in the cloud and deliver results.
  • What is ArcGIS Online ArcGIS Online is a secure mapping and spatial analysis software as a service (SaaS) platform that empowers your organization to unlock geospatial insights. Built on scalable and resilient technology, your organization can collect and manage data, analyze it, and improve decision-making by easily sharing maps and apps. Seamlessly collaborate with the help of a configurable sharing model and a variety of integrated apps and capabilities.
  • Get Started using ArcGIS Online - With a subscription to ArcGIS Online, organizations can manage all of their geographic content in a secure, cloud-based Esri environment.
    • Begin with the basics- The best way to get to know ArcGIS Online is to start using and exploring content.
    • Try a lesson - The ArcGIS Online quick lessons guide you through meaningful real-world scenarios that let you experience the powerful capabilities of ArcGIS Online for yourself.

Tips and Tricks and Customization

Customize your ArcGIS Pro experience

• Short Training Videos - These are made by Esri's very on Instructors just for you and the questions you bring up during our training classes. 
  • Customize the Ribboncreating new tabs and choose which commands appear on them. You can also add new groups to help stay organized. 
  • Reset Panes - Within ArcGIS Pro, users are given a default set of Reset Pane options. This resource from Esri GitHub will allow you to customize with just a little coding.
  • Customize Pro - using Esri Software Development Kit customize solutions and experiences. 
  • Customize ArcGIS Pro without a line of code - exceptional tips to improve your experience

Additional Resources

•   Migrate feature classes from your Personal Geodatabase (PGDB) to a File Geodatabase (FGDB)- From the PGDB, right click on the feature and export to XML. From the FGDB, Import XML
    • This method will assure that your FC work effectively and correctly in a FGDB
  • Tools Not currently available in ArcGIS Pro - Some geoprocessing tools that are available in other ArcGIS Desktop applications such as ArcMap are not available in ArcGIS Pro.
  • ArcGIS Pro Extensions - Extensions are products that integrate seamlessly with ArcGIS Pro to enhance productivity and analysis.
  • Your Ideas in Motion - Our goal is to build the best GIS software available and with your help we can. Take notice of the ability to filter by Categories on the left of this link.

3D

Charts & Reports

Tasks

City Engine

CAD - Autodesk and MicroStation

• CAD data in ArcGIS ProAutoCAD and MicroStation are the two most widely used general-purpose CAD platforms. ArcGIS Pro accepts data generated by AutoCAD- and MicroStation-based applications.
  • Supported CAD formats (FME)ArcGIS Pro supports the following AutoCAD and MicroStation file format. The best thing for Bentley products is the FME workbench by SafeSoft within ArcGIS Pro.
  • CAD optionsCAD data is a unique data type. Be sure to understand your options within ArcGIS Pro
  • Georeferencing CAD data in ArcGIS Pro - Georeferencing is the process of spatially adjusting a CAD drawing without actually changing the original source data.

Cartography

• Take your map to the next level (part 1 of 3)This tutorial shares some easy tips for improving the cartography of your map using ArcGIS Pro.
  • Esri Gallery of styles - John Nelson
    • Follow John Nelson of Esri. He’s an exceptional cartographer. His videos, blogs, LinkedIn and twitter are always buzzing!
  • More Styles (blog)– for Public Safety and Government industries.
  • NACIS North American Cartographic Information Society provides even more styles for ArcGIS Pro.
  • Firefly styles  – very exciting and novel set of style options for features. 

Advanced Sharing

•  How can I share and collaborate across ArcGIS Online organizations Members of ArcGIS Online organizations already have the capability to securely share content to members and their own organizations but this article will focus on workflow specific to sharing with members outside of your organization (external users).
  • What else can I share? - Web feature layer, web tile layer, vector tile layer, map image layer, web scene layer, web imagery layer, and web elevation layer.
  • User types, roles and privileges - ArcGIS Online provide the ability of individual organization members to access and work with content in different ways depends on the privileges they have in the organization.
  • Configure Member roles can configure custom roles to add control and flexibility.

Additional Training

Comments

there is also this free training course: Esri Training | Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro

Thanks Gabo! That class hadn't been released when I originally posted this document, but I'll be sure to update it now.

Thank you so much for posting - I have been struggling to get to grips with ArcGIS Pro and this has provided me with the basics that I needed. Using the exercises has been so much more useful that the ArcGIS Pro Help.

Cross-referend to a new post comparing ArcMap and Pro.

ArcGIS Pro ... useful transitioning links and images

Does anyone know the URL for the New York City portal?  I am trying to do the tutorial but I can't access the portal.  I am trying to do the tutorial at this link. Author and share a web map—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop ESRI Documentation team has responded to my Feedback but as yet I don't have a solution and thought someone else may have had the same issue.

It took me a while to find it, but the trick is in the help...

You must be signed into ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS. Sharing requires an active portal connection.

I tried logging int o my enterprise account and searching all esri content but was coming up empty.  I finally went to https://www.arcgis.com/home/index.html   and logged in with my account (after recovering/changing my password) and then semi following the help again

Type New York City PPKX in the Search text box and press Enter.

The tutorial wants you to use Pro to do this...which probably would work better...but I just did it from the link above after logging in.    I found the data when with the search

http://www.arcgis.com/home/search.html?q=New%20York%20City%20PPKX&t=content

but again, you may need to be logged in first....and if you don't follow the tutorial, then you aren't really learning that step....so I would try it their way first.

hope this gets you on your way.

Thank you.  I will give that a try.

Teşekkürler efendim

Version history
Last update:
‎02-02-2024 12:36 PM
Updated by: