Want to redirect your Default Geodatabase?

08-09-2012 05:19 AM
Labels (1)
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
1 0 7,600
Have you ever wanted to redirect your Default Geodatabase to a location other than your My Documents folder? This has been a popular idea supported by many users, and at 10.1 and 10.0 Service Pack 5, this is now possible.

At the ArcGIS 10.1 release, you can redirect your Default Geodatabase  through the Catalog Window Options in ArcMap. Click the button on the top right corner of the Catalog Window and then click the Home Folder tab. You can set a new location for your Home Folder by clicking the browse button and navigating to your desired location.
DefaultGDB_Blog.png

At 10.0 SP5, you can achieve the same outcome by adding a new key in the registry editor (the same UI option that is available at 10.1 is not available here). The workflow to do this is highlighted in Knowledge Base Article 40332:

1. Go to Start > Run.

2. In the Run window, type 'regedit'.

3. In the Registry Editor window, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ESRI > Desktop 10 >
ArcCatalog.

4. Select Edit > New > Key and name it 'DefaultHomeFolder'.

5. Right-click the new DefaultHomeFolder key, select New > String Value, and name it 'Location'.

6. Double-click the new 'Location' string value and change its value to the path of the desired Home folder.

Lucas D. - Desktop Support Analyst

About the Author
I'm a Geographer working in Product Development at Esri, focusing my time on the ArcGIS Runtime SDKs. I'm an Esri Certified ArcGIS Desktop Professional (10 years experience working with ArcGIS) with a wide range of technical skills including native application development, spatial databases, desktop/web GIS, and scripting. My Master's degree is in GIS with a focus in Natural Resource Management. Currently, I'm most interested in building cross-platform and lightweight apps using our ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt.