Announcement: Errors Encountered in ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS Web Apps after Certain Browser Updates

09-20-2016 02:40 AM
ThomasEdghill
Esri Community Moderator
0 0 2,857
02/06/2017 Update: Patches have been released for Portal for ArcGIS version 10.3 and 10.4, which can be found here. We are continuing to work on patches for ArcGIS Server Manager (10.2.x, 10.3, and 10.4) and Portal for ArcGIS (10.2.x). We appreciate your patience as these patches are being developed.11/23/2016 Update: Patches have been released for ArcGIS Server version 10.3.1 and 10.4.1, which can be found here. We are continuing to work on patches for ArcGIS Server Manager (10.2.x, 10.3, and 10.4) and Portal for ArcGIS (10.2.x, 10.3, and 10.4). We appreciate your patience as these patches are being developed.11/10/2016 Update: Patches have been released for Portal for ArcGIS versions 10.3.1 and 10.4.1, which can be found here. We are continuing to develop patches for ArcGIS Server Manager (10.2.x, 10.3.x, and 10.4.x) and Portal for ArcGIS at version 10.2.x, 10.3, and 10.4.

The forthcoming updates to the Firefox, Chrome, and Safari browsers cause errors in some web applications for ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS when users upload content.The following browser versions are affected:
  • Firefox 49 (Release Date: September 20, 2016)
  • Chrome 54 (Release Date: October 18, 2016)
  • Safari 10 (Release Date: September 20, 2016)
Note: Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge are not affected.The following ArcGIS products are affected:
  • ArcGIS Server 10.2.x, 10.3.x, and 10.4.x (patch deployed on 11/14/2016 for ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 and 10.4.1)
  • Portal for ArcGIS 10.2.x, 10.3, and 10.4 (patch deployed on 12/16/2016 for Portal for ArcGIS 10.3, 10.3.1, 10.4 and 10.4.1)
  • The ArcGIS API for JavaScript (patch deployed on 9/19/2016 for versions 3.11 and above.
The following workflows are affected:Portal for ArcGIS Home Application
  • Updating details for any content, such as items within “My Content” or fields within a user profile
  • Creating new groups via "Groups" > "Create A Group"
  • Uploading content via "My Content" > "Add Item" > "From my computer"
  • Uploading content to the Portal for ArcGIS Map Viewer via "Add" > "Add Layer from File"
  • Adding attachments when editing features in the Portal for ArcGIS Map Viewer
  • Updating thumbnails on any Item Details page or via "My Organization" > "Edit Settings" > "General"
  • Updating the banner or background images via "My Organization" > "Edit Settings" > "Home Page"

Below is an example of the error encountered when attempting to upload content in the Portal for ArcGIS home application.
PortalUploadError.png

This example shows the error which can be seen when trying to upload content to Portal for ArcGIS

ArcGIS Server Manager
  • Uploading service definitions (SD) when publishing services
  • Uploading SDE database connection files when registering a database as a data store
  • Uploading SOE or SOI files when adding extensions
  • Uploading KMZ files

Below is an example of the error encountered when attempting to upload an SD in ArcGIS Server Manager.
ManagerUploadError.png

This example shows the error seen when uploading content to ArcGIS Server Manager

To resolve these errors, Esri is developing software patches for ArcGIS Server and Portal for ArcGIS. We will keep you informed as the patches become available.
Thomas E. - User Advocacy
About the Author
Thomas works on the Customer Experience team at Esri. Originally from Barbados, his time spent living, studying and working in the Caribbean, Canada, Wales and the U.S. has fueled his love of all things spatial. He is particularly interested in exploring the interconnections between human and physical geographies, and how GIS can be used to tell compelling stories about them. Thomas has been a proud member of Esri since 2013.