What's So Special About Our Specialty Certifications

03-12-2019 02:14 PM
JerenPortillo
Esri Contributor
4 4 713

If you are keeping up with Esri Technical Certification news, then you already know we’ve made some exciting changes to the program to provide you with more opportunities to certify your skills. We are excited to announce the addition of specialty certifications to our exam offerings. Specialty certification exams are shorter and singularly focus on a specific topic or product and are intended to be stacked upon your existing certifications.

The first release of specialty exams that are currently in development are two very popular topics of interest: ArcGIS API for JavaScript and ArcGIS Online Administration. Both exams will be live and available to the public in June 2019.

What’s the value in achieving a specialty certification?

We wanted to create an exam type that was focused and didn’t require you to test on foundational concepts you’ve already proven you know. To do that we’ve created a model that allows you to stack your specialties on top of your existing core Esri certifications, as you’ve demonstrated your foundational knowledge of the ArcGIS Platform.

Specialty certifications are meant to enhance your foundational ArcGIS knowledge. You have already proven your skills and experience with the greater Esri platform, and now you can showcase your skills with very specific and nuanced topics, allowing you to further set yourself apart from the competition.

How do I get a specialty certification?

To be eligible to participate in a specialty exam, you will need to be currently certified at version 10.3 or higher. If you’ve not already achieved a certification, you will need to meet this eligibility requirement before taking a specialty. You can choose from any currently available version of an exam.

If you know your specialty area inside and out, why not take the step to showcase your capabilities in that area? Whether your goals are for personal or professional development, the addition of Esri’s new specialty certifications will help you further benchmark your expertise in the field. 

Explore our new specialty exams: https://www.esri.com/training/certification-find-exam/specialty/.  Have an idea for the next specialty exam?  Let us know!

4 Comments
Egge-JanPollé1
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Jeren,

Yes, I like this concept of Specialty Certification.  I have got badges in 3 colors now, so I would very much like to add one in the new color.

And yes, I also have an idea for a next specialty exam. What do you think about ArcGIS API for Python? Or is that too obvious a suggestion?

Cheers,

Egge-Jan

#Python #ArcGIS #API #Specialty #Certifiation #the color purple

JerenPortillo
Esri Contributor

Hi Egge-Jan Pollé

We love the idea of a Python Specialty - in fact, we have heard that from many candidates.  I will add it to the list!

Thank you for the feedback and good luck achieving a specialty badge (the purple will be a great addition to your badge collection).

Kind regards,

Jeren

Egge-JanPollé1
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Jeren Portillo

Just a minute ago I did received some good news from the Esri Technical Certification Team: I did pass my first Specialty exam (ArcGIS API for JavaScript), so now I have got badges in all 4 colors 🙂

By the way, is there any news on the status of the ArcGIS API for Python Specialty exam, which you did add to the list?

BR,

Egge-Jan

JerenPortillo
Esri Contributor

Hi Egge-Jan Pollé‌,

Congrats on your newest certification!!  I hope you will add your badge to your social channels for maximum visibility!

We are working with our vendors to decide on a schedule for the development of the next Specialty exam.  I don't quite know when we will begin the development (or if the topic will be API for Python), but as soon as we confirm with our vendors we will announce the new exam here on GeoNet - so stayed tuned!!

Thank you for keeping us posted on your achievement.  If you have some time, feel free to submit your success story for inclusion on our website: https://www.esri.com/training/certification-success-stories/.

Kind regards,

Jeren

About the Author
GIS Consultant at Tensing GIS Consultancy B.V.