Leica Zeno 20 GPS not compatible with TLS 1.2 update

04-19-2019 01:43 PM
VeronicaNixon2
New Contributor III

The Leica Zeno 20 GPS can no longer run Collector app following the TLS 1.2 update. Esri has been working closely with Leica for the past several months, but as far as I know there is no timeline yet for a solution. I am hoping to use this discussion to connect with other Zeno 20 users who are experiencing this and to pool our knowledge and the latest updates here.

47 Replies
GeneSipes1
New Contributor III

Has anyone successfully collected data with the Leica Zeno 20 (without RTK) and uploaded the raw GPS data to the NGS' OPUS site? I have Zeno 20s I want to find a cost effective solution for. I do not want to pay $6,250 a year for 5 units to have RTK. Also, I want to see if I can make this work without buying Zeno Office (Leica's Post Processing Software). 

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak
Occasional Contributor II

The latest software update lets you record the necessary attributes but you'll need to figure out a conversion to rinex maybe. There was NGS talk about having an RTK upload interface instead of having to run static for hours to recover monuments, but then COVID happened.

0 Kudos
GrahamWood2
New Contributor III

I'm just trying to set up my less than a year old Zeno20 to use with collector.. I'm following the Leica support note "How to fix Esri Collector TLS 1.2 issue on Leica Zeno 20
using Proxy Server method"
I can't get it to connect to arcgis online or our portal using the proxy. Is this still working.?

This was meant to be a 3-5 year purchase. and I'm not getting anywhere at year 1. 

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

Hi Graham,

Having been down this road, the best solution for us was to use a GG04 smart antennae instead. The second best route is to use the Zeno with the Leica software instead of Collector. It now has the ability to add AGO layers though I'm not sure if those are directly editable. They might be. Even when the TLS proxy fix was configured, we had some performance issues trying to use Collector. There's an ArcGIS add-in available to push your feature classes' schema to Leica, if disconnected editing is an option. I'm a little disappointed that Leica is still selling these units. The 3G modem isn't really viable anymore and using Collector is pretty much a no-go. Hit up Jason Hooten from Leica, he can probably offer some advice and alternatives.

0 Kudos
JasonHooten1
New Contributor II

Graham,

Would be happy to discuss with you. Please contact me at 317-526-7036 or email me at Jason.hooten@leica-geosystems.com<mailto:Jason.hooten@leica-geosystems.com>

The Zeno 20 is still sold, but should not be with your preferred use in mind. I have been and will continue to only sell Zeno 20 units with our Zeno Mobile software as the unit no longer properly supports Esri Collector. We have other options for supporting Esri Collector and AGOL setups. Look forward to speaking with you.

Jason Hooten

GIS Sales & Support Manager – US & Canada

Leica Geosystems

13097 Glenside Dr | Fishers, IN. 46037

Mobile: 317-526-7036 | Email: Jason.hooten@leica-geosystems.com<mailto:Jason.hooten@leica-geosystems.com>

Zeno GIS Support: Email: gis.support@leicaus.com<mailto:gis.support@leicaus.com> | Phone: 1-800-327-4773

Leica Geosystems Website: http://leica-geosystems.com<http://leica-geosystems.com/>

0 Kudos
JasonHooten1
New Contributor II

Hi Graham,

Proxy is still up and running. We did need to update the security certificate for Zeno 20, but otherwise still going. Collector Classic still works in this scenario. It is retiring, but you will still be able to run Classic. Esri just will no longer be supporting it. 

Feel free to contact me for up to date certificate and additional support. jason.hooten@leica-geosystems.com   I would like to discuss further with you the purchase of the Zeno 20 units and so forth. 

VR,

Jason

0 Kudos
GrahamWood2
New Contributor III

Another nail in the coffin for the Zeno20's as a collector device...

ArcGIS Blog: Collector Classic is retiring 

As I mentioned before i had purchased 2 of these intended as collector devices as a 3-5 year purchase. They are only a year old and we won't have budget for years to come in the current climate.

The only option I see is an elastic band to hold my even older smartphone(GALAXY NOTE 3) to the device and Bluetooth the GPS NMEA stream to my phone.

has anyone got any recommendations of other android applications I could use on the Zeno20 as I would like to sync the fieldwork to portal from somewhere automatically using FME some how without using the current export option..

0 Kudos
ScottStopyak

Maybe Qfield if you're running a supported database. I think it has online and offline modes. You might then need to setup a python script to get synced to portal. The Leica software works ok for me. I dropbox the data from the field. If you really wanted to you could just dropbox it to a pc and have a python script running that sniffs your dropbox folder and if there is new data, performs a sync task. That's kind of a long way to go though unless you're good with python and enjoy tinkering with automated tasks. One caveat though is that the OS on the Zeno is so old it might not support modern apps. Even if it does, they likely won't be in the Amazon app store. There were more bad decisions made with the 20's design than a bachelor party in Vegas.

0 Kudos