GIS Tutorial for ArcGIS Pro 2.6 for my course, but online data does not match

Jump to solution
09-07-2022 03:03 PM
JenniferVeilleux
New Contributor II

Hello Community - I am teaching Intro to GIS as an inherited course. I assigned the students to purchase and use GIS Tutorial for ArcGIS Pro 2.6. However, when we started to use this book, the online tutorials on the website do not match the step by step instructions in the book. The data is nothing to do with the textbook. Essentially, I have instructed the students to ditch the book and just use the somewhat vague instructions provided with each chapter data and I as the instructor am supplying visual models, and step-by-step walkthroughs on particularly ambiguous steps. Some of the commands in the tutorials do not exist in ArcPro we are using.

Is anyone else having this experience? 

Can someone please advise me on a workaround or point me to the text that the 2.6 data is a companion to?

I have written ESRI twice and am working with my campus bookstore on this issue, but as of yet, there has been no resolution or response to my email inquiries - going on three weeks now.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Yep, I checked this tutorial data against the tutorials in the book.

There are supplemental assignments that come at the end of chapters that can be assigned for additional work. Trying to use those datasets for the main tutorials may be the source of confusion.

There is a link for the full Assignment data for all chapters, or they can be downloaded chapter-by-chapter. This is what those options look like.

Assignments.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
glennhazelton2
New Contributor III
Use 2.8 not 2.6
0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

The latest edition for that title is for ArcGIS Pro 2.8, (book, data). The data for the 2.6 edition can be found here

Since your students already purchased the 2.6 book, you may want to consider using that edition of the software in your classroom. The current version of ArcGIS Pro is 3.0, but the difference in learning for introductory students would be fairly minor. Other than UI/UX updates, the address locator and geocoding processes taught in chapter 8 are probably the biggest changes to the software, so you may want to weigh teaching that the older way by following the 2.6 text, skipping that section in favor of another topic, or teaching it at the end of the class after upgrading to 3.0 and referencing either the 2.8 book or our documentation for explaining the new workflow. 

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Craig

0 Kudos
JenniferVeilleux
New Contributor II
Hi Craig,
Thank you for responding. The issue is that the data online for 2.6 is not related the tutorials in the textbook 2.6.
Do you know where the correct data for 2.6 can be found? What is on the website is wrong.

Thank you,
Jennifer
0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

I just did a spot check of a couple tutorials against a clean download of the data and it seems fine to me, can you point me to a place where you are seeing an issue?

0 Kudos
JenniferVeilleux
New Contributor II
Hi Craig,
Are you looking at the printed text compared with what is offered on the weblink?
0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Yep, I checked this tutorial data against the tutorials in the book.

There are supplemental assignments that come at the end of chapters that can be assigned for additional work. Trying to use those datasets for the main tutorials may be the source of confusion.

There is a link for the full Assignment data for all chapters, or they can be downloaded chapter-by-chapter. This is what those options look like.

Assignments.png

0 Kudos
JenniferVeilleux
New Contributor II
Craig,

Thank you. I cannot open the folder downloaded from that weblink you provided. My computer has a security block on it. Since I am working on a university machine, likely students ran into the same issue. The publisher did not respond to my two requests this summer for a desk copy. Sounds like the confusion may be with the usability of the text - missing chapter headings and clearly delineated assignments, as well as user error.

Thanks,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
JenniferVeilleux
New Contributor II
Craig,

Thank you. I cannot open the folder downloaded from that weblink you provided. My computer has a security block on it. Since I am working on a university machine, likely students ran into the same issue. The publisher did not respond to my two requests this summer for a desk copy. Sounds like the confusion may be with the usability of the text - missing chapter headings and clearly delineated assignments, as well as user error.

Thanks,
Jennifer

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

You may have the ability to approve the download in the bottom left of your browser, but this will vary depending on your browser. 

As an additional option, I've uploaded a zipfile of the dataset that you shouldn't have any issues with, you can access it here.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos