Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro 2.6 3rd ed. - Exercise 3d Error

Jump to solution
02-07-2021 08:30 AM
JeffreySchmidt1
New Contributor II

Hi, 

In Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro 2.6, Exercise 3D > Spatially Join Data, you run through creating a spatial join.  The output name in step 3 is different than the figure in step 4.  Step 8 name does not match either.   This is the first time someone learns to do a spatial join in this book.  It is a complicated scenario and one that is widely used in GIS.  I was hoping for a better description and a better diagram of what is occurring.  I hope this gets reviewed and revised.  I am using the Amazon Kindle edition of this book.  

Thank you for looking.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

The output feature class name should be, “c2010_SpatialJoin”

The operation should use “Contains”

You make a good point that understanding join operations is a fundamental concept and I’ll make a note to include more background on this in the next edition, so it is as clear as possible.

I’ll send you a code for an updated e-book once we make these changes.

Thanks,

Craig

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffreySchmidt1
New Contributor II

I am further confused by the fact that in knox county we previously calculated 4 food deserts... LILAtracts sum up to 4.  Population sums to 13,926.  When applying the spatial join, using intersect, as described, we label knox county and the book image shows 6 for knox county.  Makes sense as intersect will probably take anything that touches the boundary. But is it appropriate for this analysis and does the reader understand these differences? Population gets skewed quite a bit by this method.  "Contains" provides the same values as the relate component of the exercise.  I dont understand why 6 is the "correct" answer?  Help!

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

The output feature class name should be, “c2010_SpatialJoin”

The operation should use “Contains”

You make a good point that understanding join operations is a fundamental concept and I’ll make a note to include more background on this in the next edition, so it is as clear as possible.

I’ll send you a code for an updated e-book once we make these changes.

Thanks,

Craig

0 Kudos
Florian
New Contributor

Hello Craig_Carpenter,

Was the change made regarding the join operations?

Could it be possible to have a copy of the updated e-book?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Yep, it should be updated, but I recommend the newer edition Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro 2.8.

0 Kudos