Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro 2.6 3rd ed. Ch 4 - metadata section needs update?

Jump to solution
02-20-2021 12:32 PM
JeffreySchmidt1
New Contributor II

I think that documentation in the Ch. 4 "Metadata" section is incorrect?  I don't think a home tab exists, or at least, i cannot find it.  There are no figures or screenshots that go along with this so it is difficult for a new user to understand what they should be looking for.

Here is the current metadata section information:

"Whenever you create new data, it is best to create metadata—textual information about the dataset—especially before sharing. To do so, right-click the dataset in the Catalog pane, and click View Metadata. A Catalog tab appears in the display area, and new options are available on the interface ribbon. On the Home tab, click the Edit tool. Enter your tags (which facilitate data searches), a summary of the dataset, and anything else you feel is necessary (such as data credits). When you are finished, click Save, and then close the Catalog pane."

Law, Michael; Collins, Amy. Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro 2.6 (p. 127). Esri Press. Kindle Edition.

I think it is supposed to be:

Whenever you create new data, it is best to create metadata—textual information about the dataset—especially before sharing. To do so, right-click the dataset in the Catalog pane, and click View Metadata. A catalog view tab appears in the display area.  On the Ribbon, Catalog tab, Metadata group, click the Edit tool. Enter your tags (which facilitate data searches), a summary of the dataset, and anything else you feel is necessary (such as data credits). When you are finished, On the Ribbon, Metadata tab, Manage metadata group, click Save, and then close the Catalog View."

Also FYI, the save button for metadata does not behave the same way as it does when I make edits to spatial features.  When I click save, it does not change to gray like is the behavior of a spatial edit save.  I ended up clicking a bunch of times thinking that the save did not commit because my frame of reference is the spatial edit save behavior.  Hoping in newer versions of ArcGIS Pro that they 2 scenarios can be made to function more similarly.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeffery,

Thanks for the language clarifications!

I can see why the Save button functionality could be clearer, I'll check the status of that and if it hasn't already been flagged, add your suggestion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Jeffery,

Thanks for the language clarifications!

I can see why the Save button functionality could be clearer, I'll check the status of that and if it hasn't already been flagged, add your suggestion.

0 Kudos