'Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop 5th edition' book exercise data

Jump to solution
11-14-2020 09:36 AM
ElizaAtandi
New Contributor

I am having trouble downloading the data for the book exercises from the book resource page (esri.com/GTKAD-5) and I was wondering if there was any other place I could get these resources. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Here a link to a zipfile of the exercise data.

1. Download the data.
  2. Create a folder on your C drive named EsriPress.
  3. Unzip the data and place it inside the folder.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Eliza,

Sorry you are having trouble.

If you go here: https://esripress.esri.com/bookResources/index.cfm?event=catalog.book&id=46

you can right-click and save as to download the book's resources.

Let me know if you still run into any issues.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ElizaAtandi
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for responding! I'm still having trouble. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it only allows me to save

it as a link, and the last time I tried downloading it from the resource page it downloaded the datasetup as an

the application so I couldn't access any of the data in ArcMap. 

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Eliza,

It sounds like you are just about there. Here are the steps.

Starting from the book resources page:

https://esripress.esri.com/bookResources/index.cfm?event=catalog.book&id=46

SaveLink.jpg

Download.jpg

When the file is done downloading, locate it (by default it is probably saved to your Downloads folder).

Then click through the installation process. Let me know how it goes!

0 Kudos
ElizaAtandi
New Contributor

Ok thanks! I just can't figure out where to find the exercise maps in ArcMap once the datasetup is installed. When I try to insert data I can't find anything for the exercises in the file explorer. 

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

The default location for the data to be installed is C:\EsriPress\GTKArcGIS

0 Kudos
HollyBrackett
New Contributor II

I need to update my link for the Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop 5th edition data download. The above link does not give me access to the data.  I need it for my Intro GIS students who are using the 5th edition book.

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

The Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop 5th edition data can be found here.

Let me know if you need anything else.

0 Kudos
QiangWan
New Contributor

I tried to follow the same instruction steps in this thread but still could not download the exercise file for 'Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop 5th edition' book. I was able to see the 'Save As' Windows prompt but get an error message saying 'datasetup.exe can't be downloaded' once I clicked the Save button.

I am wondering this download file link is expired. Can anyone advise if you are able to download it or any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I think your browser is probably wanting you to confirm that you want to download the executable file. 

If you are using Chrome, try this:

Once you follow the steps above, look at the bottom left of your browser, it may look like this:

DownloadWarning.png

Click the arrow in your download toolbar and then click "Keep" to confirm the download.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,

Craig