Two New Python Scripting Books for ArcGIS Pro

06-02-2020 11:58 AM
Labels (2)
CatherineOrtiz
New Contributor III
3 10 3,079

Two new Python scripting books publish July 2020, just in time for the Esri User Conference.

These much-anticipated books, by author Paul Zandbergen, will show all users, regardless of skill level or experience, how to use Python to improve and simplify their work. Paul's books are used in universities and colleges around the world to teach core Python techniques and how to apply those to ArcGIS. These two new titles focus on ArcGIS Pro

Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro is the definitive, easy-to-follow guide to writing Python code with spatial data in ArcGIS Pro, whether you’re new to programming or not.

Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro book coverPython Scripting for ArcGIS Pro starts with the fundamentals of Python programming and then dives into how to write useful Python scripts that work with spatial data in ArcGIS Pro. Learn how to execute geoprocessing tools, describe, create and update data, as well as execute a number of specialized tasks. See how to write simple, custom scripts that will automate your ArcGIS Pro workflow. 

Some of the key topics you will learn include:

• Setting up a Python editor
  • Automating geoprocessing tasks using ArcPy
  • Exploring and manipulating spatial and tabular data
  • Working with geometries using cursors
  • Working with rasters and map algebra
  • Map scripting
  • Debugging and error handling

Available in print and e-book from your favorite online retailers: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Indiebound.

[ISBN: 9781589484993   420 pages   $79.99]

Ready for something more complex? Advanced Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro is an easy-to-follow guide to writing specialized Python scripts and developing tools for spatial data in ArcGIS Pro.

Advanced Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro book coverAdvanced Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro builds on Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro. Learn how to create a geoprocessing tool out of your script and automate tasks in ArcGIS Pro, how to share your tools with others, as well as master a number of more specialized tasks.

Some of the key topics you will learn include:

• Writing specialized scripts using ArcPy
  • Creating Python script tools
  • Writing Python toolboxes 
  • Sharing scripts and tools 
  • Managing Python packages and environments 
  • Creating custom functions and classes 
  • Migrating scripts and tools from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Pro 
  • NumPy, Pandas, and Matplotlib 
  • ArcGIS API for Python and Jupyter Notebook 

Available in print and e-book from your favorite online retailers: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Indiebound.

[ISBN: 9781589486188    290 pages   $69.99]

Both book include helpful “points to remember,” key terms, and review questions at the end of each chapter to reinforce your understanding of Python. In addition, corresponding data and exercises will be available online (once the book publishes).

Esri Press author Paul A. Zandbergen

About Paul A. Zandbergen: 

Dr. Paul A. Zandbergen is a professor in the GIS program at Vancouver Island University. His teaching includes courses in introductory GIS, spatial analysis and modeling, spatial statistics, and GIS programming. His research focuses on the robustness of spatial analytical techniques in the areas of crime analysis, environmental science, public health, spatial ecology, and water resources. His research has been funded by the National Science Foundation, the National Institute of Justice, and the National Institutes of Health. He has published over 50 journal articles and book chapters. He is the author of Python Scripting for ArcGIS, published in 2013 with Esri Press. He lives with his family in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

10 Comments
JenniferGillespie2
New Contributor

I just got my new copy of Advanced Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro in the mail and I'm really excited to dive in. I bought this specifically because there are exercises that go along with the material, but I'm having a hard time finding them. The Preface states that they are part of the Learn Organization. I made a learn account and went to the book path: https://go.esri.com/PythonAdvData . But I get an error that The group you requested cannot be found. It may have been deleted or you don't have permission to access it.  Is there some resolution for this?

CatherineOrtiz
New Contributor III

Hi Jennifer, let me check with the team. It's possible we're doing final testing of the activities for that book. If correct, I'll get you the date they will be posted. If there is a different issue, such as a URL change, I'll get you the correct one. 

Craig Carpenter - FYI, so you can help me track this down. 

Thanks, Catherine

Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Jennifer, 

Thanks for picking up the book, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Exercises will be made available on that group as they are finalized, starting next week.

All of them will be available no later than 8/28.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I picked up a copy of 'Advanced Python Scripting' during the UC.  While I haven't spent a ton of time with it yet, my initial thumbing through left me impressed.  Looking forward to using it here shortly.

I got the same error so I'll be following this thread closely.

Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Joe,

Sounds good, I'll update here as they are made available.

Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Joe,

We've uploaded six of the exercises now, here.

Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

We've uploaded six of the exercises now, here.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Cool; thanks!

Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately we've had delays that are out of our control in providing the final lessons, we hope to post them soon.

Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Unfortunately we've had delays that are out of our control in providing the final lessons, we hope to post them soon.

About the Author
I'm a Group Program Manager @Esri and the Publisher of Esri Press. I love GIS, books, my family, my dog, college football, & coffee!