Leaflet + ArcGIS Online web maps = possible?

08-31-2014 04:41 PM
Labels (1)
NickMason
New Contributor

Hi all,

Is it possible to create a web app using leaflet and a webmap from ArcGIS online?

Here's my dream:

Let customer update his/her map using Portal for ArcGIS (webmaps) while I work on the design/layout of the map template/wrapper using Leaflet.

If that is not possible, then my other option would be to learn how to use leaflet and the ArcGIS API for Javascript.

Do I understand this correctly? Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

You are in luck.

The docs and samples are really well written. I think you'll find some great resources there.

Esri/esri-leaflet · GitHub

0 Kudos
NickMason
New Contributor

I've seen that, but it doesn't look like it accepts the ArcGIS.com webmap ID (only basemaps).

0 Kudos
EdwardSohn2
New Contributor III

I am trying to do the same:

Would it be possible on the _createWebMap: function (itemInfo) { } function

instead of using the

arcgisUtils.createMap(itemInfo, "mapDiv", {

usePopupManager: true,

bingMapsKey: this.config.bingKey

});

to take the parameters passed in as itemInfo, to use those to build the leaflet map?

Some of the options passed into the itemInfo are:

- baseMap

and

- operationalLayers

These could for e.g. be used to create the leaflet map and to add initial basemap to it, and also the operational (feature, tiled, or dyanmic) map layers.

My other question is how some of the built in esri widgets like the basemapgallery or measure tools would interact with the leaflet api.  For e.g. these esri widgets take map as a parameter.  It may not be possible to just pass in the leaflet map object to that parameter, nor would it be that the leaflet map would expose an underlying map object that would be compatible.  The other option might be to forgo the esri widgets to use corresponding leaflet plugins.

Disclaimer: just investigating these things myself, or started to.  Above claims may or may not work.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlicePence
Occasional Contributor II

Here are a few links that you can look at that might help you also-

Leaflet Vector Layers | GeoJason

Web map by ID | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

Maybe a combination of these two JS scripts can get you closer to what you are looking for.

0 Kudos
AdamJoseph1
New Contributor

Hi Nick

you can create web maps based on ESRI leaflet from your browsers.

Take a look at map viewer app and feature details apps

You look at the demos at Cartoview

you will need to downlaod and install cartoview then login as admin then create new map viewer.

Take a  look at the sample mapviewer apps

0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor

The core team maintaining Esri Leaflet currently has no plans to implement support for loading webmaps via their id, but it would make a viable plugin if anyone else wants to tackle it.

see our roadmap for more information.

0 Kudos