QuickCapture mobile will not upload data

02-15-2019 01:24 PM
JamesMcLeod
New Contributor II

QuickCapture will not upload my data from my mobile.  I have a Samsung S8 phone.  The data events are being collected and the "cloud" ticker is incrementing, but the "cloud" will not initiate an upload of the data when I click on it or touch it.  How do I get my data points if it won't upload?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James 

All QuickCapture data is stored in a plain SQLLite database (geometries and attributes) plus a folder for your attachments. You can use SQLLite tools to browse the data and fix any issues.

Can you email a copy of your database to me (jhasthorpe@esri.com) (here are the steps for iOS: 7. Data Recovery · Esri/QuickCapture Wiki · GitHub).

Additionally, can you share some more information on your set up?:

- The version of the application you are using

- The device and platform 

- Whether you are collecting line features

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
JamesMcLeod
New Contributor II

Thanks for the feedback. I did enough internet research to discover the location of the data file on my phone and was able to recover the data in it through a SQL Lite tool. So, I didn’t lose any data, which as good. I had 164 data points in the file that I didn’t want to have to recreate.

However, in order to get the mobile app to begin uploading data again, I did have to uninstall and reinstall the app and manually remove file structure (ARCGIS folder) from my phone, which app uninstall did not do for some reason. If I had not recovered the file preceding this step, it would have resulted in data loss. An uninstall and reinstall with no manual file folder removal, did not resolve the problem and didn’t reactivate the upload function within the mobile app.

I’m using QuickCapture mobile app 1.0.60 on a Samsung Galaxy S8 android phone. I’m only collecting point features.

I did change one setup feature after this incident and turned on the auto upload feature with an interval value of 600 seconds.

However, the app is still getting to a point where it will not upload the data either automatically or by using the cloud icon. It always collects data points. That has never been a problem. But at some point during my data collection process, the “cloud” icon surrounding the number and the “up” arrow that is in the upper right of the screen will disappear. Only the number shows. No upload is possible at that point. I did discover, as of today, that by closing the app, relaunching it, and forcing app to sign into ARCGIS again reactivates upload function. By going back into my data collection screen, the data points are still present and immediately upload without further action by me. Am I losing my login at some point? My data collection process does take 3 to 4 hours total in a given day. The loss of the cloud outline and logging back in happened at least twice during that interval today. However, once I followed the steps I just described, my data points uploaded and are in my feature layer with no issues.

Data file from initial incident that occurred on 2/15/2019 is attached as requested.

Here is also a screen example from my mobile app:

Any further assistance you can offer on this would be really helpful, because I’m at a point in my project where I need to provide the mobile app to other users and collect data points from multiple people into my feature layer. I really don’t want to have to work through this problem with multiple people in different cities on an ongoing basis.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James

Just to respond to your comments:

- The ArcGIS directory is not removed when the app is uninstalled in Android, so there is no risk of data loss.

- It looks like you are being affected by the following bug: Check device is online while uploading features · Issue #60 · Esri/QuickCapture · GitHub 

Although the application checks for network connectivity before starting the uploading of features - if the device goes offline (and then back online) midway through the upload, the app will hang. To get things working again the app must be closed and re-opened.

Is it possible that you are losing connection at any point during the day/during upload? If this is the case, an option would be to disable auto upload and then manually upload features when the user has a good connection.

- I don't think sign out is an issue here, as you are able to sign back in on relaunching the app. But I will look into this further.

Also, note that this app is an Esri labs app. We are currently working on a new version of the application, due to be released at the UC.

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James

I have done some further testing and found another bug which may be causing your issues. Essentially is the device is offline for a period of time, the user will be signed out: User will be signed out after being offline for a time · Issue #79 · Esri/QuickCapture · GitHub 

This seems to reflect what you are seeing.

0 Kudos
JamesMcLeod
New Contributor II

Thanks for the additional information. It is plausible that I have encountered both #60 and #79. I can develop a work around for that now that I have better info on the cause. Thanks for the follow-up. We will continue to use the app because it has saved us a lot of time and data accuracy issues and I look forward to an updated app by the summer.

Jeff