neighboring polygons to a group including 2nd, 3th etc generations

Jump to solution
01-08-2021 01:16 AM
John
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to assign all neighboring polygons to a group. all polygons in a group should have the same number, including neighbors 2nd, 3rd etc. generations. Because there are hundreds of cells (polygons) and groups, manual assignment by assigning a value or editing is not an option. Unfortunately, with the nearest neighbor tool, I can only see the first-order neighbors and no groups.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem? 🙂

Grafische Darstellung_kl.JPG

Polygon 2084 and 26073 should have the same number because they are connected and so they form a group. 26067, 26070, 26066,26068,... form another group....

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could use the 'dissolve' tool Dissolve (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation to dissolve on a shared boundary, i.e. features that share a boundary are merged into a single feature.

Then perform a spatial join Spatial Join (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation to join the ObjectID field of the dissolved features to all coincident original features.

This would create a new copy of the original features, but with an additional ObjectID field showing which 'group' each feature belongs to.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

You could use the 'dissolve' tool Dissolve (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation to dissolve on a shared boundary, i.e. features that share a boundary are merged into a single feature.

Then perform a spatial join Spatial Join (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation to join the ObjectID field of the dissolved features to all coincident original features.

This would create a new copy of the original features, but with an additional ObjectID field showing which 'group' each feature belongs to.

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How Polygon Neighbors Works—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation provides a certain perspective if you are looking for subgrouping contiguity.  The visual examples in the link may help if you have the appropriate attributes in your table

... sort of retired...
John
by
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot for your solutions! 

I have one more question: Is it possible to dissolve on a shared edge additionally to a shared boundary?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi John,

I'm not sure what the difference is between a shared edge and a shared boundary if I'm honest.  Bit rusty on topology.

0 Kudos
John
by
New Contributor II

shared edge.JPG

Sorry, of course an edge can also be a boundary.  What I meant, if you look at the picture the polygons with a shared boundary on a complete side are dissolved (this group for example got the number 1063) but I also need the polygon 1066 included. 

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Ah OK I think you man sharing a 'node'.  If you look at @DanPatterson 's reply you can probbaly identify these with with that tool and 'Node Neighbour'.

0 Kudos