Can an individual ward be extracted from a shapefile?

Jump to solution
07-13-2020 10:46 AM
JamieVanTassell
New Contributor II

Hello! I am pretty new to GIS and am still learning my way around. I am trying to use the intersect tool to find the intersection between two feature layers, but I would like to map the intersection of one ward with its overlapping watershed. The original shapefile contains delineated counties and I would like to extract one out of the original shapefile to use the intersection tool on. Each county is polygon and has a GlobalID.

Can someone please help me with this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hello Jamie!  

Welcome to the wonderful world of GIS!  So it sounds like you would like to export a feature class containing only one specific county polygon from the greater county polygon layer.  I'll outline this workflow as it pertains to ArcGIS Pro although the workflow is essentially the same within ArcMap.

In order to export a single county polygon, you would first want to do a select by attributes on your county polygon layer.  You can find information about how to select by attributes at the URL below. You will want to open the Select Layer by Attribute pane first, this can be done by clicking the Map tab, going to the Selection group and clicking Select by Attributes.  Next you will want to set the selection type to New Selection.  Finally you will want to create a clause.  In your case, this will look something like Where County_Name is equal to "_____".  The blank space there would then be filled with the desired county.  You mentioned that the counties have global ID's so you could also do something like Where Global_ID is equal to "____".  After authoring the clause, run the tool.  

Select features using attributes—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

This will select the desired county.  Next, right click the counties layer in the Contents pane, go to Data, and Export Features.  This will open the Feature Class to Feature Class tool.  Simply specify an output name and location and your golden!

Hopefully this helps you out!  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LukasFalk
Esri Contributor

Hello Jamie!  

Welcome to the wonderful world of GIS!  So it sounds like you would like to export a feature class containing only one specific county polygon from the greater county polygon layer.  I'll outline this workflow as it pertains to ArcGIS Pro although the workflow is essentially the same within ArcMap.

In order to export a single county polygon, you would first want to do a select by attributes on your county polygon layer.  You can find information about how to select by attributes at the URL below. You will want to open the Select Layer by Attribute pane first, this can be done by clicking the Map tab, going to the Selection group and clicking Select by Attributes.  Next you will want to set the selection type to New Selection.  Finally you will want to create a clause.  In your case, this will look something like Where County_Name is equal to "_____".  The blank space there would then be filled with the desired county.  You mentioned that the counties have global ID's so you could also do something like Where Global_ID is equal to "____".  After authoring the clause, run the tool.  

Select features using attributes—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

This will select the desired county.  Next, right click the counties layer in the Contents pane, go to Data, and Export Features.  This will open the Feature Class to Feature Class tool.  Simply specify an output name and location and your golden!

Hopefully this helps you out!  

JamieVanTassell
New Contributor II

That worked beautifully! Thank you so much for your help, Lukas! I really appreciate it, and I'm excited to explore the vast world of GIS!