Publishing Metadata from SDE to Geoportal

01-12-2011 05:36 AM
CameronIrvine
New Contributor II
Hi there,

I am currently deciding whether to migrate our metadata from an in-house developed product that allows you to search metadata that resides in SDE or to start using Geoportal.  Obviously the Geoportal has a lot of bells and whistles that would be very useful but I have yet to determine if I can publish metadata in SDE directly to the Geoportal and any updates in SDE would be updated in the Geoportal. 

I have had a look at the three ways to add data to the Geoportal and it appears the only way to do it for metadata in SDE would be to export the metadata out of SDE as a xml file to a web enabled folder.  I guess this would work but I would need to setup a nightly process so if any changes were made to the metadata Geoportal would be updated as well.  

Am I missing something?  Surely there must be a better way to access metadata in SDE through the Geoportal. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JosephWallis
New Contributor II
did you ever figure out if this was possible?  We are evaluating Geoportal for the same reason.
0 Kudos
BillHarvey
New Contributor II
Older thread, but did anyone ever figure a way to do this?    Would like to do the same thing and prefer not to batch all of our SDE data to xml and WAF if we don't have to.

Thanks.

Bill
0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
The PublishClient add-in to ArcCatalog will work for this.  It will scrape and publish metadata from a feature class, feature dataset, or workspace to a Geoportal server.
0 Kudos
KristenWobbe
Occasional Contributor II
We use the Publishing Client Add-on for ArcCatalog for all our BATCH publishing.  You just select the folder containing the metadata, and the Client publishes any metadata XML if finds in that folder.  It claims to find the metadata attached to Feature classes in geodatabases.  With the proper permissions to access the SDE folders I do think it would be possible. 

We haven't actually tested that because our corporate datasets in SDE are locked down to read-only for most staff-users.  And we have not tried automating publishing with a nightly process.  We just select the folder we are ready to publish metadata in, and use the simple GUI provided to publish metadata in batch.  It creates a log, which is useful to ensure metadata publishes successfully, but we publish in manageable size allotments to keep track of what doesn't publish, because publishing and validation are tied together.
0 Kudos