Metadata loaded but not editable?

02-03-2011 10:59 AM
MartinOuellet1
New Contributor
I have loaded successfully some xml files (which are OGC/ISO 19115 compliant) into my geoportal catalog.  As a admin, when I display all the layers, the edit icon is disable(see attachment)...

any ideas why?

regards,

MartinO
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
MartinO,

Pardon my French is not that good, but I imagine the publication method, "Telecharge", would indicate that you uploaded the metadata XML.  Yes? 

By default, geoportal only allows online editing of metadata *created* with the online editor.  That is why the edit icon is disabled for your records.

This default behavior can be overridden, but there are two good reasons to know why we don't allow online editing by default before you change things:

1. If you edit online, the metadata will become out of sync with the data source unless you impose some policies to bring the online metadata back to the data source.

2. The online editor will only edit those metadata elements defined in the definitions.xml file associated with your metadata's schema.  The out of the box metadata schemas provided with geoportal do not define every metadata element in most schemas.  If you wanted them, you would have to add them in to the definitions.xml file.  The bad thing that can happen if you were to edit uploaded metadata with the online editor would be that metadata elements not defined in the definitions.xml file would get dropped from the metadata when you save the file.

So with those warnings in mind, here is how to override the default behavior and make the online editor work for your uploaded metadata file.  Go into your database and locate the gpt_resource table.  Find the row corresponding to your metadata record and look for the 'pubmethod' column.  Change the value of the pubmethod to "editor" (note I think that will also work in your French localized version too). 

This method works for single records.  If you want to override the default behavior permanently, you would probably want to set a database rule that overrides the pubmethod value to 'editor' always.

Hope that explanation helps.  Good luck.

Clive
0 Kudos
MartinOuellet1
New Contributor
Clive,

Yes, I uploaded xml files. thanks again for the explanation and the warnings on editing the metadata online.  There were pretty helpfull. 

I was asking the question because in my case, I have someone (outside my organization) who will edit xml file with an desktop tool (catMDEdit) and then will send it to me.  I was hoping to be able to load the file, then validate the info and maybe make some changes and finally, commit the data in my catalog.

p.s. you don't have to apologize for your french because I would have to apologize for my english everytime a post a new thread 🙂

regards,

MartinO
0 Kudos