Metadata Details page customization

09-13-2010 06:47 AM
MichaelRose
New Contributor III
We currently in the process of publishing our metadata sourced in SDE and I would like to customize what is shown on the 'Details' page for each featureclass/table.

I can see that all the information is there because when I click on the 'Metadata' link, I can see all the attributes nested within the XML tags.  Am I missing something?  Is there something I need to do to customize what is shown?

I have found some support on creating a custom profile, but this appears to be only related to 'Creating' metadata rather than publishing.

Any support would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
Hi Michael,
Do you mean that you have published some metadata to the geoportal and when you click on 'view metadata' in the manage page, you can see all the xml metadata elements?  However, when you click on 'view details' from the search results page, you do not see all the metadata elements?
Clive
0 Kudos
MichaelRose
New Contributor III
Yes that is correct.  I know the metadata elements are there.  I was just trying to figure out how to display them on the details page.  The ideal details page would provide all of that information.  We would like to be able to display all the metadata that we populate.

I spoke with ESRI support about this issue and they suggested that I move to Geoportal 10 and that would solve this issue.  I have downloaded but have not installed as of yet.

If I continue to have the same issue after install, I will repost to this thread.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
Okay, thanks for the confirmation. 

The details page only shows the metadata elements defined in the web form (leveraging the <metadataStandard>-definition.xml file).  So what I suspect may be happening is that not all of the metadata elements in your document are defined in the web form corresponding to your document's metadata standard. 

Check your definitions.xml file (and also the template.xml file) and you might see the elements you are looking for missing.  If so, then you can edit the definitions.xml and template.xml files to add the elements you want in.

Updating to the latest geoportal will give you updates to the definitions.xml and template.xml files.
0 Kudos
SachinChand
Occasional Contributor
When a search item(s) comes up on the geoportal, the "details" link shows information in standard legible html but the "metadata" link shows data in xml tags w/the message "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below" at the top of the page.  How do I get this page to show correctly and what is the difference between the "metadata" link and the "details" link?

Thank you
0 Kudos