Login fails for geoportal database, even though password is correct.

02-08-2011 07:19 AM
JosephWallis
New Contributor II
I can log in as the catalogadmin successfully.  However, I get this error in the portal:

Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Login failed for user 'geoportal'.)

Looking in the gpt.log I get this message repeated frequently:

Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Login failed for user 'geoportal'.
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:197)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSTokenHandler.onEOF(tdsparser.java:246)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSParser.parse(tdsparser.java:83)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.sendLogon(SQLServerConnection.java:2529)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.logon(SQLServerConnection.java:1905)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.access$000(SQLServerConnection.java:41)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection$LogonCommand.doExecute(SQLServerConnection.java:1893)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:4575)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:1400)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectHelper(SQLServerConnection.java:1045)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.login(SQLServerConnection.java:817)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(SQLServerConnection.java:700)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(SQLServerDriver.java:842)
at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DriverConnectionFactory.createConnection(DriverConnectionFactory.java:38)
at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory.makeObject(PoolableConnectionFactory.java:582)
at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.validateConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1556)
at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1545)
... 38 more

the thing is I can connect with this account successfully in SQL Server Manager.  I thought maybe there was an issue with the password so I changed that to something with no special characters and verified it logged in....but still no luck.

Really frustrated at how simple this should be and how complicated it is being made.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JosephWallis
New Contributor II
nevermind....lame jdbc doesn't like named instances.
0 Kudos
CecilioMartinez
New Contributor II
nevermind....lame jdbc doesn't like named instances.

How did you fix this? I'm having the same problem... Not sure what you mean by "jdbc doesn't like named instances"..

Thanks for the help

-Cecilio
0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
How did you correct the issue?  (that might be useful for the forum)

Here is a good reference (though old):  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313225

Also, for those interested, I have been successful creating the JDBC connection with SQL Server Express using its named instance:
url="jdbc:sqlserver://computer_name\SQLEXPRESS;databaseName=geoportal"
0 Kudos
CecilioMartinez
New Contributor II
How did you correct the issue?  (that might be useful for the forum)

Here is a good reference (though old):  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313225

Also, for those interested, I have been successful creating the JDBC connection with SQL Server Express using its named instance:
url="jdbc:sqlserver://computer_name\SQLEXPRESS;databaseName=geoportal"

Yup that is what I got too and it works.... Thanks!
Here is the link that I used http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms378428(v=sql.90).aspx
0 Kudos