Does Geoportal toolkit is ArcGIS Server services dependent?

12-06-2010 12:49 AM
GalAvraham
New Contributor II
Hi All
I'm new to the Geoportal Toolkit. I crossed its functionality looking for a solution to the mid-weight firm  I'm working for. I'll briefly introduce our needs hopefully some of you will be able to clarify whether  or  not the Geoportal is a suitable solution for our needs.
Our firm is within the field of Surveying and Engineering. As a such most of its projects inputs/outputs data format are taken from the CAD/GIS world, both in vector (dwg/dxf/shp/coverage) and raster (tiff/JPG/ecw etc.) formats. As for now, all project data and information are organized within the firm's local network, in different directories/sub directories. We are looking for a solution that, given a well documented metadata regarding the mass of stored data (a mission that for itself is exhaustive and hard labor), will assist the firm users in locating the relevant project data and information by means of both spatial and none spatial (i.e text phrases) search capabilities: drawing the approximate project extent on a map/using some code words, or the integration of both. Once the search query is executed and returned from the server, the user will be able to sort through a list of candidate data sources relevant to the search criteria. The user will be than able to download the data to his own workstation, or alternatively, will be given the possibility to browse to the location where the files are stored, and than to copy the data to his workstation using the OS capabilities.
Going over the Geoportal documentation, I understand such working scenario is supported by the Geoportal Toolkit. What I'm missing is whether or not such scenario is dependant on consuming ArcGIS Server services for displaying the map and extracting the data from it's storage location (using the download tab, as mentioned here: http://webhelp.esri.com/geoportal_extension/9.3.1/gpt_datadownload.htm).
As I mentioned, we are looking for a mean of locating and accessing the data. There is no need for data extraction/manipulation what so ever.

To conclude, here are my questions:
1. Given the above mentioned working scenario, is Geoportal is a possible solution for our needs? My feeling is that in general the answer to that Q. is Yes, although some modifications are required.
2. Does the implementation of the Geoportal toolkit will require ArcGIS Server services, as mentioned in the online help?
3. If the answer to Q. No. 2 is Yes, are there any online solution for such services one can access, or does it mean that we'll have to purchase an ArcGIS Server?

I hope that I'm not missing any other detail.
Many thanks in advance

Cheers,
Gal Avraham
Medva - Survey &  �??Engineering Ltd, �??Israel
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AitorCalero_García
Esri Contributor
Yes, Geoportal Server (not Geoportal Toolkit) is the solution for your need.

No, you don't need to use ArcGIS Server Services. But you will have to connect to ArcGIS Online to access some maps for your embedded viewer.

Just to let you know, you can download the OpenSource version of Geoportal Server here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/geoportal/
0 Kudos
GalAvraham
New Contributor II
Yes, Geoportal Server (not Geoportal Toolkit) is the solution for your need.

No, you don't need to use ArcGIS Server Services. But you will have to connect to ArcGIS Online to access some maps for your embedded viewer.

Just to let you know, you can download the OpenSource version of Geoportal Server here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/geoportal/

thanks aitor. I'm familiar with the availability of the Geoportal at sourceforge.
btw - what is the difference between the Geoportal Server and the Geoportal toolkit?
0 Kudos