Database considerations for GPT version 10 test

10-08-2010 07:03 AM
KristenWobbe
Occasional Contributor II
Are there any known issues or problems with installing Geoportal version 10 and connecting to the same SQL server database used for version 9.3.1.sp1? 

We were thinking of giving this a try in our test environment.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
Kristen,
You can use the same SQL Server database instance, but you will need to create a new database for use by geoportal 10.  If you want to keep your old geoportal database, create the new one with a different name and make sure your JDBC and gpt.xml configuration values point to the right geoportal database.
0 Kudos
KristenWobbe
Thanks, Clive!  That verifies what Tru was just reading in the installation guide.  We will create a new database named for v10, do our testing, and then import the metadata from the 9.3.1.sp1 database later, when we are ready.  Will that work? Or would re-publishing be necessary? (Or maybe just re-approve once imported?)
0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
Kristen,
Have you looked through the Geoportal 10 Migration Guide (pdf in the documentation folder)?  If not, I recommend that as a good read for understanding your metadata migration options.
Clive
0 Kudos
KristenWobbe
Clive, I really appreciate your replies on the forum!  This is great.  I will go take a look at the Migration Guide .PDF right now!  THANKS!
0 Kudos
CliveReece
Esri Contributor
np 😄
In a default install, the path to the doc is C:\ESRI\Geoportal Extension 10\Documentation\Installation\Geoportal10_MigrationGuide.pdf
0 Kudos