Cannot connect to Oracle using Tomcat IIS Windows 2008 R2

02-03-2011 03:13 PM
DanielMcAlister
New Contributor II
Hi

just about to give up on Tomcat and Geoportal Server 1.0 Cannot get geoportal server to connect via the JDBC drivers. I'm using a simple adapter to connect via the gpt.xml file. Correct user name and password. Yet when I boot up tomcat the log files state com.esri.gpt.framework.sql.DatabaseReference testConnection SEVERE: Connection test failed. java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied. That's without even going near the site.

I've followed the instructions of how to install geoportal, and the only slightly different setup I have is that I've used Microsofts IIS's Application Request Routing to forward requests for /geoportal to tomcat. This seems to work fine, I can bring up the geoportal site no problem. Login as the Administrator I defined in geoportal.xml, I think this uses the geoportal.xml file properties (username and password defined in there), however when I try to use the Administration feature. That is click on the Administration button, it breaks stating 'A database communication error has occurred'. The logs are filled with invalid username and password, but via sqlplus the geoportal user can login fine.

The server is also running both Oracle client and server, however I don't believe this could be the issue. But if anyone has any debugging techniques or advice, both a welcome, trying to crack this one for a week. Thanks Dan
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanielMcAlister
New Contributor II
Never Mind, replying to my own thread, I've gone with using Glassfish instead. I couldn't get Tomcat to work.
0 Kudos
AlexandreGAILING
Esri Contributor
i was facing the same issue with gpt/tomcat and oracle thin client .
i solved it today by:
- updating oracle thin client with the last one (11.1.0.7) downloaded on the oracle support website
- replacing the username="geoportal" property by user="geoportal" in geoportal.xml

hope this helps...
0 Kudos
JimDickerson
New Contributor II
Alexander,
It helped me.  When I first read that you changed "username" to "user" I discounted it.  When I had wasted man-days of time, trying to figure out why I couldn't connect, I finally gave it a shot and it worked.  The question is: how did you know to do that?  I could find no reference in the Tomcat JNDI section.

Thanks,
Jim Dickerson
0 Kudos
joanvallespir
New Contributor
Alexander,
It helped me.  When I first read that you changed "username" to "user" I discounted it.  When I had wasted man-days of time, trying to figure out why I couldn't connect, I finally gave it a shot and it worked.  The question is: how did you know to do that?  I could find no reference in the Tomcat JNDI section.

Thanks,
Jim Dickerson

This worked for me as well. I guess why they don't update the installation guide.
0 Kudos
AlexandreGAILING
Esri Contributor
Alexander,

Thanks,
Jim Dickerson

Sorry i can't find the website where i found it ... I was working hard on a customer plateform, so i did not log every source...
  the fact is that the jdbc driver property for the login name is "user" ( http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B13789_01/java.101/b10979/urls.htm )
0 Kudos