Utility Network for Utility Network Management Extension (Esri)

01-25-2018 05:03 PM
SpatialNinja
Esri Regular Contributor

With the release of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 and ArcGIS Pro 2.1, the Utility Network Management extension is offered as a comprehensive solution to managing utility and telecom networks (telecom model not available with first release). Core tools within the Utility Network Toolbox can be used to create and configure the utility network. For automation purposes, the Utility Network Package Tools from the ArcGIS solutions team are available with asset packages for electric, gas, and water domains.

Use this discussion thread to voice any questions and discuss the new Utility Network on the Utility Network Management Extension.  Learn More: https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2018/01/23/vision-and-overview-of-the-utility-network/

Thanks,

ArcGIS Utilities Team

Join the Discussion Below!

Solutions Engineer | Spatial Ninja  | GIS ️ | Telecommunications
75 Replies
Isaac_NewtonKissiedu
New Contributor II

Hi ArcGIS Utilities Team,

I have installed the Electric Utilities and extension and I did apply the Electric Asset Package without populating the test data so the domain feature classes contain no data.

I would like to make some changes but I am not sure whether it would cause any problems. Basically, i would like to be advised on what changes I can/cannot make to the Electric Utility Asset Package configuration after installation.

In case the following is not safe, does it mean i have to configure everything from scratch?

1. Can I safely append attribute domain values to what you have already defined?

2. Can I safely add additional SubTypes to the domain feature classes?

3. Can I safely add new fields to the structure and domain feature classes?

Thanks for technical assistance

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

1:  Yes, but if you add something to the Asset Type domains, you will have to further configure the utility network properties

2:  Yes, but subtypes are Asset Groups.  You will have to further configure the utility network properties.

3:  Yes, no additional configuration required, unless you want to use those values as part of a subnetwork/trace definition.  If so, you need to look at setting up network attributes.

0 Kudos
Isaac_NewtonKissiedu
New Contributor II

Thank you Michael Miller

0 Kudos
AdrienHafner
Occasional Contributor

Can someone confirm or explain how the Utility Network Management Extension gets installed, since it's an ArcGIS Enterprise Extension?  Is there an installer file available for download on My Esri?

0 Kudos
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

There's no separate install required for the Utility Network Management extension; you just need to license it in order to utilize.

0 Kudos
AdrienHafner
Occasional Contributor

Awesome, thanks so much!

0 Kudos
SrinivasaRao1
New Contributor III

Could not able to create utility network model, please guide us

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

I have downloaded the latest UNM for electric from arcgis.com and the info within the version table has it as V2 with V2.0.1 model.

When using the Apply Asset Package gap tool, it brings up a warning about not being the latest version and to use to Upgrade gp tool.

When an upgrade is done, the version has it as 2.3 with 2.0.1 model. Is there a list of what the Upgrade tool does to lift 2.0 to 2.3? Is it adding new fields, changing data types, adding/removing attribute rules, changing arcade expressions, adding/removing edge/junction rules, changing asset group/asset types?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

It simply upgrades the schema of the asset package tables and domains. Does not affect the modeling of the UN.

0 Kudos
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Michael,

Are you able to go into more detail about the schema/domain changes?

I would consider a schema change to be significant and be a mandatory requirement to upgrade the asset package. Just trying to understand the changes and that only a warning comes up and to me that suggests its not important to upgrade.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

0 Kudos